PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Do Ask Fields Require VBA?

xCav8r
07-05-2005, 12:29 PM
I have a group of users that I need to teach how to use ASK fields. Even as simple as the VBA is to make the prompts appear, it would be easier if they didn't have to mess with it. The problem is: I don't know how to get the prompts to appear when a document is opened without using VBA. Is it possible?

MOS MASTER
07-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi, :yes

Better to use Fillin Field.
Just insert it and save the document as template.

Open it and tada there it is. fillin the question and the value is inserted at the location of the field. :whistle:

xCav8r
07-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh, that field looks easier than ASK since ASK requires a bookmark and a REF field. I'll teach them FILLIN instead. Anyway, doesn't that require an update to the field to show the prompt? Seems like I can't get around the VBA with that one.

MOS MASTER
07-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Oh, that field looks easier than ASK since ASK requires a bookmark and a REF field. I'll teach them FILLIN instead. Anyway, doesn't that require an update to the field to show the prompt? Seems like I can't get around the VBA with that one.

Yes indeed Fillin is easier.

Fillin or ASK will always require a field update to be shown again. There purpose is to pop up with a newly created document / or merge doc. Not every time a document is opened.

Well IMO the VBA is not nessecary.
You say you will teach them how to use the field?

If so teach them to put the cursor on the field (or select) and press F9 if they want to change the field value.

Easy peasy I'd say! :whistle:

xCav8r
07-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Yes, easy, I know, but they're moving from Word Perfect and if the Word Perfect behavior can be replicated in Word without VBA, then so much the better. These fields will be used on templates, and the prompts for them really only need to appear when the document first opens, so in document_new for the template, I do...

selection.wholestory
selection.fields.update

That's what I was hoping to avoid. Are you saying that both these field types prompt the user whenever a new document is created?

xCav8r
07-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, what do you know? I don't need VBA. Very cool. Thanks.

MOS MASTER
07-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Ahums.....did you actually try my suggestion?

Again:
* Create doc
* Add Fillin Field
* Save as Template

create document from template (Moment you want it to appear) Tada.....see attachment

This should do it for yah????

MOS MASTER
07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Well, what do you know? I don't need VBA. Very cool. Thanks.
Ah you beat me!.....:devil: :rofl:

xCav8r
07-05-2005, 01:33 PM
hehe...yeah, sorry. :P

MOS MASTER
07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
hehe...yeah, sorry. :P
Hehehe..try, try, try first! :whip

xCav8r
07-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Okay, I'm a bad boy. :oops: