PDA

View Full Version : Call Sub 'GoTo' Point?

Stargazer
10-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Hello again,

Another puzzler for you.

We have some Subs that are designed to work in a specific way and utilise GoTo points in order for them to be multifunctional, compact and clever. However, we are now realising that it would be a massive advantage if we could use these GoTo points as entry points from other subroutines.

For example...

Sub One()

1: MsgBox ("1")
GoTo 5

2: MsgBox ("3")
GoTo 4

3: MsgBox ("5")
Exit Sub

4: MsgBox ("4")
GoTo 3

5: MsgBox ("2")
GoTo 2

End Sub

Sub Two()

Call One

End Sub

Currently, When this is run, you get message boxes 1 to 5 in order. That's fine. But what if I wanted only to run the code in that sub for stage 3?

Is there a way to say, 'Call One and then go immediately to 3 as your entry point.'?

The only way we could currently think of doing it would be to pass a public variable to from sub Two to sub One saying 'If the variable is X then GoTo 3 else do nothing.' But this seems like a messy and unpleasant way of doing things.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Jan Karel Pieterse
10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
In general, using GoTo in programming is considered bad practice. It is almost always possible to restructure the code so that no goto's are needed.
Passing a variable to the routine is the way forward (which BTW is not necesarily a public variable):

Sub One(lStart As Long)
Dim lCt As Long
For lCt = lStart To 5
MsgBox lCt
Next
End Sub
Sub Demo()
One 3
End Sub

Bob Phillips
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Why not just split it into more subs?

Sub AllFive()
Call One
Call Two
Call Three
Call Four
Call Five
End Sub
Sub One()
MsgBox ("1")
End Sub
Sub Three()
MsgBox ("3")
End Sub
Sub Five()
MsgBox ("5")
End Sub
Sub Four()
MsgBox ("4")
End Sub
Sub Two()
MsgBox ("2")
End Sub
Sub CallOne()
Call One
End Sub

Paul_Hossler
10-07-2011, 11:05 AM
utilise GoTo points in order for them to be multifunctional, compact and clever

I've never heard "GoTo" and "multifunctional, compact and clever" in one sentence before.:think: I'd go with Jan and XLD and rethink the approach.

But one way following your concept is to do something like the following:

Option Explicit

Sub Two()
Call One(Array(1, 2, 3))
Call One(Array(5, 4, 3))
Call One(Array(1, 5, 2))
End Sub

Sub One(ComputedGoTo As Variant)
Dim i As Long
For i = LBound(ComputedGoTo) To UBound(ComputedGoTo)
On ComputedGoTo(i) GoSub 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Next i

Exit Sub

Return

2: MsgBox ("2")
Return

3: MsgBox ("3")
Return

Return
5: MsgBox ("5")
Return

End Sub

Paul

Kenneth Hobs
10-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Sub One(Optional i As Integer)
Select Case i
Case 1
GoTo 1
Case 2
GoTo 2
Case 3
GoTo 3
Case 4
GoTo 4
Case 5
GoTo 5
End Select

GoTo 5

2: MsgBox ("3")
GoTo 4

3: MsgBox ("5")
Exit Sub

GoTo 3

5: MsgBox ("2")
GoTo 2

End Sub

Sub Two()

One

End Sub

Sub Three()

One 3

End Sub

Jan Karel Pieterse
10-08-2011, 07:28 AM
OK, lets start a contest. Which of the posts in this thread contains the least intelligable code?

Let me take this a step further: I would have happily contributed a prize to the one winning this contest: the worst Excel book I've ever seen.
But I tossed it :-)

mikerickson
10-08-2011, 10:41 AM
...We have some Subs that are designed to work in a specific way and utilise GoTo points in order for them to be multifunctional, compact and clever. ...
Many years ago, programmers found that multi-functional, compact, clever routines were so confusing as to be almost un-editable, even by their authors.

From that arose a concept called Structured Programming. The idea being that each bit of "atomic code" would do only one thing, perhaps with an argument being passed to it. Other routines would call these atomic routines as needed.
Two of the big concepts of Structured Programming are
1) The routine does only one thing.
2) There is one way into a routine and one way out. (in VBA this translates into "End Sub" is always exicuted)

xld's code is an example of structured programming being applied to the OP code.

Another approch would pass the number as a vairable.

Sub Main()
Call ShowMessageWithNumber(1)
Call ShowMessageWithNumber(2)
Call ShowMessageWithNumber(3)
Call ShowMessageWithNumber(4)
Call ShowMessageWithNumber(5)
End Sub

Sub ShowMessageWithNumber(aNumber as Long)
MsgBox aNumber
End Sub

Bob Phillips
10-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Many years ago, programmers found that multi-functional, compact, clever routines were so confusing as to be almost un-editable, even by their authors.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
Brian W. Kernighan.

xld's code is an example of structured programming being applied to the OP code.

Thank you :)!