PDA

View Full Version : Automating Outlook Sub Folders to Save in a Specific Drive on the Server

Sherrie
10-24-2011, 04:05 AM
Hi all!

I've never used VBA for Outlook. I have found various snippets of code on the above on this site, but I have absolutely no idea how to make it work to my specific situation. I've been cracking my head and losing sleep over this for over a week now, so thought it's time I asked for help :banghead:

Some Background Information

My colleagues send and receive a massive amount of emails a day
They file these sent and received emails together with attachments into a single project sub folder on Outlook
When they eventually get to filing the emails on the server, the sent emails together with the attachments gets saved in the project folder (outgoing sub folder) and the incoming emails and attachments get saved in the project folder (incoming sub folder)
At the moment, they manually copy each email into the respective sub folder on the server and manually rename them in accordance with our naming conventions

As you can appreciate, this is a very silly and unproductive way of doing things when I know that Outlook is capable of automating this whole process although I have no clue how. This also explains why the electronic filing is the bane of my colleagues' lives and why their emails end up clogged.

What I would like to Achieve

At the end of the day, with a click of a button, to be able to perform the following:

For each project sub folder on Outlook:

Save all incoming emails including attachments into the specified folder on the server in accordance with the naming convention (ProjectNo & " " & " " & Date in YYMMDD & " " & Email Subject

Save all outgoing emails including attachments into the specified folder on the server in accordance with the naming convention (ProjectNo & " " & " " & Date in YYMMDD & " " & Email Subject

Empty the project sub folder in Outlook

Any help or a point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sherrie

monarchd
10-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Do these attachments all have the same extension, such as .xls or .pdf?

If so, check out last few posts in this thread - that code should be a good starting point for what you want to accomplish.

It's the thread titled Automatically save att in Outlook 2007 a few down from this one. (I can't post links yet)

To "kick off" this process or in other words, to identify what emails to run this macro on, use a standard Outlook Rule for either subject line or whatever you want to key on to flag it. Then, set the rule to "run a script" and point it to the code reference above.

In the code, you'll probably need to change where it prints out to save instead.

Hope that starts you on the right path.

Sherrie
11-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying.

No, the attachments don't all have the same extensions.

I have found some examples but I'm unable to piece them together (real novice here!)

Also, I would like the code to automatically save all the emails in the Inbox sub folder to a sub folder of the same name in a specified location on the server. As such, I would prefer not to use the Shell App to Browse for folders