PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Anyway to Print Doc w/ Sections using absolute page numbers?

xCav8r
07-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm trying to adapt something I created that traps printing events to divide a print job into batches. To date, this has been used mostly with large merges where the ratio of sections to records is known in advance, so I've just specified printing with "s1-s100". Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows how to use the absolute page number when printing a document with multiple sections. :read:

Anne Troy
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about "absolute" page numbering. Can you reword it? :)

fumei
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Page numbering comes from the section. So I would like to know what you mean as well. There is no "absolute" page numbering in Word. Page numbers are always calculated.

Are you trying to print explicit Sections?

xCav8r
07-07-2005, 05:37 AM
I'm not sure what you mean about "absolute" page numbering. Can you reword it? :)

Sorry for not being clearer. By absolute I mean independent of (not relative to) the section number.

Page numbering comes from the section. So I would like to know what you mean as well. There is no "absolute" page numbering in Word. Page numbers are always calculated.

Are you trying to print explicit Sections?

When you look at the status bar in Word, you see Page X Sec Y and A/B where X is relative to section Y, but A relates your position among the total number of pages (B) in the document. I wondering if there's a way to use A instead of X and Y. I need to adapt something I wrote that uses X and Y when I won't know the ratio of records to sections.

fumei
07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Those numbers ARE relevant to the Sections. A/B are calculated from the X and Y. Word calculates, section by section, the number of pages for that section. Y is the sum of that calculation. Page numbers are never independent of Sections. You can not have a page (and a number) that is NOT in a Section.

Again, all page numbering comes from the Section.

xCav8r
07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Sorry, I misspoke when I said relevant. I meant to say relative. (Original post corrected.)

Anyway, although it's interesting to learn how Word calculates X/Y, I'm not sure that helps me to what I would like to do, which is to avoid having to bother with sections when specifying print ranges (p1s1-p2s2). If I have to use A & B and cannot specify X, then I'll just have to take another approach. That's what you're saying, right?

TonyJollans
07-07-2005, 05:30 PM
This isn't simple!

The "Page X" on the Status Bar is actually related to the Page Numbers, so if you change your Page Numbers to start at 100, then the first page in the document will show as Page 100. This can get really awkward if you have multiple page number fields but let's not go there :)

There is, AFAIK, no way to use the 'absolute' A/B numbers and there are limitations on the combinations you can print when working with multi-section documents from mail merges where there are repeated page numbers.

xCav8r
07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, that's a bummer. Guess I'll have to try another approach. Thanks for the responses.

thushan
08-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Hi xCav8r,
Did you find a solution for the problem?
I also need to find a way to print pages using 'absolute' page numbers (ie using A).
The problem is I have ugly looking huge docs (some converted from Word Perfect). They have section breaks, page breaks, etc. all over. I need to skip blank pages when printing. Though it sounds simple, working with those docs make it almost impossible. When I use p2s12 format to print, it adds some additional page breaks.
I can correctly identify 'absolute' page number that need to be printed. I only need a method to get them printed.

Thank you for any info.

Best regards,
Thushan

MOS MASTER
08-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Welcome to VBAX! :hi:

Like mentioned above there is no Absolute Page number in Word!

However perhaps you mean something else.

Checkout the various Arguments of the Printout method That can printout a page range you specify or just a single page in a document.

Remember this perhaps you are able to do it manualy via the Print dialog? If you are then try recording that action. That will give you code you can work with.

The question is vague...so this is the best answer I can provide. :whistle: