PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: How to Package Addin File for Excel

chandansify
07-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Dear All,

I have created a Addin file and Now I want to install it on my clients machine.

I am not getting the exact idea that how can I achive this.

Should I create a VB Setup

or

Should I create an Excel File with Startup Form in Which I will write code for installing Addins.

What would be the best method for installing Addins.

I am looking for an expert answer..

Bye..

Bob Phillips
07-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Dear All,

I have created a Addin file and Now I want to install it on my clients machine.

I am not getting the exact idea that how can I achive this.

Installing an add-in via a setup file can get very complex, having to handle separate Excel versions, maintaining the registry etc.

Why not just install manually, or write some instructions on how to install manually for the client and support the install. Not automated, but probably more pragmatic.

chandansify
07-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Installing an add-in via a setup file can get very complex, having to handle separate Excel versions, maintaining the registry etc.

Why not just install manually, or write some instructions on how to install manually for the client and support the install. Not automated, but probably more pragmatic.

Dear,

It seems what your are saying is right and I am too going to follow that only.

Ok..

Could you please sugguest me that If we use references in in VBA then what is best way to deploy vba addin since it is linked with let say Ado.2.1 or DAO 3.6 of FileSystemObject.

Should we use Late Binding instead of Early Binding.?

Waiting for your reply.

Bye..

Bob Phillips
07-07-2005, 04:04 AM
Could you please sugguest me that If we use references in in VBA then what is best way to deploy vba addin since it is linked with let say Ado.2.1 or DAO 3.6 of FileSystemObject.

Should we use Late Binding instead of Early Binding.?

The problems usually arise when it is deployed on an earlier version of Excel, then the reference that you have set just cannot be found on the other system. The best way to overcome this is to develop the add-in on the lowest version of software that you will deploy to.

Use late-binding as a last resort.

excelliot
07-07-2005, 04:32 AM
How about saving file as Microsoft Excel Add-in:beerchug:

Bob Phillips
07-07-2005, 05:21 AM
How about saving file as Microsoft Excel Add-in:beerchug:

That is exactly what it is!

Justinlabenne
07-07-2005, 09:56 AM
If you are looking for something to help distribute your add-in and have it installed by the client here's some options: I have used these with success, but it really depends on what your clients needs are, and how easy should it be for them to install, or uninstall. I prefer the setup wizards, but it is just a preference. Having them go through manual steps usually is not too bad either though. Haven't had any real rought experiences with having people do it manually.

JKP Setup Utility (http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm)

Inno Setup Wizard (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php)

Install Creator (http://www.clickteam.com/English/install_creator.htm)

Zack Barresse
07-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I like the Install Creator. I use it and have been happy with it. Although I usually send out a zip of my add-in and a text file (ReadMe.txt) with step-by-step instructions. It can generally fit on one page (about a dozen steps or so) and I will make a reference in the email (my distribution) to read the text file for directions.

JonPeltier
07-09-2005, 07:42 PM
A few comments:

The problems usually arise when it is deployed on an earlier version of Excel...
Always develop in the oldest version of Excel that your clients will be using, and that you are willing to support. This means Excel 2000 in most cases.

This is also why I usually use late binding, despite the supposedly poor performance it results in.

I have used Inno Setup extensively. It's easy to use and easy to modify. I can't believe how hard the VS6 deployment system is.

I've found that 95% of users cannot correctly install add-ins. Either they're not clever enough, or more likely, they're too clever, and don't pay attention or follow instructions. So I use a small VB program to install the add-in. I should probably also write a small VB program to uninstall the add-in, one of these days. It's not all that complex....