PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Ref Field formatting

mdmackillop
11-25-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm using Ref fields to populate repeating data inserted at bookmarks. The data appears, but the whole field is not formatting, leaving mixed font sizes etc. Any ideas?

Paul_Hossler
11-26-2011, 07:46 AM
REF projno \* CHARFORMAT

If you format the 'R' in REF, the field contents will be formated like the 'R' when you use \*charformat

MS Word Help isn't very

Paul

mdmackillop
11-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks Paul,
I'd never have found that!
Regards
Malcolm

Paul_Hossler
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't thinbk it's in the Help anymore or at least I cannot find it in MS Word 2010. According to

http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Charformat Applies the formatting of the first letter of the field to the entire result. The result of the following example has bold formatting because the "R" in "REF" is bold.
{ REF chapter2_title \* Charformat } displays "Whales of the Pacific".
You can of course use this to ensure that the formatting retains the formatting of the line that the field is inserted into. Thus
{ REF chapter2_title \* Charformat } would display "Whales of the Pacific"

\*MERGEFORMAT Applies the formatting of the previous result to the new result. For example, if you select the name displayed by the field { AUTHOR \* MERGEFORMAT } and apply bold formatting, Microsoft Word retains the bold formatting when the field is updated when the author name changes.
Note: For some odd reason known only to Microsoft, when you insert fields by using the Field dialog box (Insert menu, Field command), the \*MERGEFORMAT switch is included by default. You can turn this option off on an individual basis by clearing the Preserve formatting during updates check box in the Field dialog box.

but at least in 2010, even clearing the Preserve Formatting box doesn't seem to make it CHARFORMAT :dunno :dunno

Pau

mdmackillop
11-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks Paul,
I found by formatting AllCaps, that also was carried to the rest of the field. This will simplify a few templates for me.
Regards
Malcolm

Paul_Hossler
11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
I think that there's a \*UPPER field code that you cah use also

Paul

macropod
12-01-2011, 12:54 AM
FWIW, the original problem is often caused by the MERGEFORMAT switch. Deleting it and updating the field usually resolves the issue.