PDA

View Full Version : Pass TextBox Value to Access Query

jo15765
11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I have this code that opens a word doc based on the value of a textbox...

Dim varProgram

varProgram = Reports_Selector.Txt_Word_Doc.Text

Set wordapp = CreateObject("word.Application")

wordapp.Documents.Open "C\Test\" & Form123.Text

wordapp.Visible = True

This code works great to open the word doc specified, what I don't know how to do, is when the word doc opens, it runs a mail merge and asks for an input parameter from the query. How can I create a textbox on the same form that will pass the value to the parameter window that will open once word opens?

jo15765
11-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Upon my research, it looks like the only way I am going to be able to do what I am after is by actually modifying EVERY query to point to the txtbox on my Excel form as the reference point to receive the input parameter, is that correct?

Kenneth Hobs
11-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Why would you want to enter data into a parameter window? Adapt the code posted in: http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39586

jo15765
11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
I want to enter data into the parameter window since, once word is opened it asks for the ID. And I want to be able to input the ID into a textbox in Excel, and pass it to parameter window in Word when it displays. I can't figure out how to do it! I know I could re-write the query to accommodate to this, but this is a large scale project, I would have to re-write probably over 1,000 queries, and I don't want to have to do that. And the same situation with, I know I can use Excel to run the SQL behind the query, which that might be a viable option, but would like to steer away from it at this current time since the actual SQL varies depending on certian criteria it is never 100% the same.

From my previous post about using ADO and the SQL string, I have the queries already built out in access, and the query itself varies, so I don't want to have to bring in the SQL into Excel. I just want to try to pass the value of the textbox in Excel into the parameter window in Word.

jo15765
11-30-2011, 06:11 AM
What about something like this where the code is passed from Excel to the source query back in Access:

Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command
Dim rs as New ADODB.Recordset

Dim sQueryName as String
Dim lParam1 as long

lParam1 = 100

sQueryName = "QueryName"

With cmd
'con is an active ADODB.Connection
Set .ActiveConnection = con
.CommandText = sQueryName
.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("Param1", adInteger, adParamInput, ,lParam1)
End With

Would something similar to this work?

mdmackillop
11-30-2011, 06:35 AM
You can pass a parameter to a macto in the Word document which could run your mailmerge

wordApp.Documents.Open Doc
wordApp.Visible = True
wordApp.Run "RunMailMerge", "Output"

jo15765
11-30-2011, 06:38 AM
When my word doc opens it is automatically running the mail merge and asking me for the parameter. How would I set up a macro in word to capture data from my Excel textbox that would pass to the parameter window?

Kenneth Hobs
11-30-2011, 06:41 AM
I don't use parameters myself all that much. You might be better off asking in an Access forum.

In Excel, I have used stored Access SQL queries. See the commented links for other examples.

'http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24118
'http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24575
'http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23783
'http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26145
Sub Test()
Dim mdbPath As String, dbName As String, cmdText As String
Dim rngDestination As String
'mdbPath = "E:\ADO\NWind2003.mdb" 'change the path here to suit your needs
'mdbPath = "c:\myfiles\edrive\excel\ado\NWind2003.mdb"
mdbPath = "//matpc10/ExcelVBAExamples/ado/NWind2003.mdb"
dbName = "NWind2003_1" 'change the database name here to suit your needs
cmdText = "Aug94" 'change the stored SQL here to suit your needs
rngDestination = "A1" 'change the destination range here to suit your needs

'Clear previous data
Cells.Delete

InsertTableWithStoredSQL mdbPath, dbName, cmdText, rngDestination

'Insert other data to the right of A1 with a blank column separating the two
rngDestination = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Offset(0, 2).Address
cmdText = "Sales by Category"
InsertTableWithStoredSQL mdbPath, dbName, cmdText, rngDestination
End Sub

Sub InsertTableWithStoredSQL(mdbPath As String, dbName As String, _
cmdText As String, rngDestination As String, _
Optional bFieldNames = True)

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=Array( _
"OLEDB;Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="""";User ID=Admin;Data Source=" & mdbPath & ";Mode=ReadWrite;Extended Properties=""" _
, """;Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Datab" _
, "ase Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="""";J" _
, "et OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Co" _
, "mpact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False"), Destination:=Range("" & rngDestination & ""))
.CommandType = xlCmdTable
.CommandText = Array(cmdText)
.Name = dbName
.FieldNames = bFieldNames
.RowNumbers = False
.FillAdjacentFormulas = False
.PreserveFormatting = True
.RefreshOnFileOpen = False
.BackgroundQuery = True
.RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
.SavePassword = False
.SaveData = True
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.RefreshPeriod = 0
.PreserveColumnInfo = True
.SourceDataFile = mdbPath
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
End With
End Sub

mdmackillop
11-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Instrad of the Word Macro asking, you provide it when calling

Sub Test()
Dim Doc As String
Doc = "C:\a\Test.doc"
Set wordApp = CreateObject("word.Application")
wordApp.Documents.Open Doc
wordApp.Visible = True
wordApp.Run "RunMailMerge", TextBox1.Text
End Sub

'In Word
Sub RunMailMerge(MyData)
MsgBox MyData
End Sub

jo15765
11-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Mdmackillop ---

This piece of your code:

Sub RunMailMerge(MyData)
MsgBox MyData
End Sub

Is this the macro I would record in word that would capture the data from my Excel TextBox?

mdmackillop
11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Can you post your Word mailmerge code?

jo15765
11-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Would that be the SQL from the access query that runs when the word doc is opened?

If that is the case here is the SQL from the query:

SELECT tbl_Richard.ID, tbl_Richard.FName, tbl_Richard.lName, tbl_Richard.phone...
FROM tbl_Richard
WHERE (((tbl_Richard.ID)=[ID]));

mdmackillop
11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Can you post the whole of your Word macro so we can see how the input request is handled?

jo15765
11-30-2011, 11:40 AM
I checked the VB editor and there was no code in there. To actually create the mail merge, I opened word and went to Tools --- Mail Merge and opened my Database, and selected the query.

mdmackillop
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
It's a long time since I worked with MailMerge!
Can you post your Word document, removing any sensitive text.

jo15765
11-30-2011, 12:42 PM
I stripped all sensitive data from the word doc, and when the word doc opens you get a pop-up from the access database query asking for the ID.

mdmackillop
11-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm trying this but having problems. I guess a mixture of 2010, 2007 & 2000 is creating issues I can't understand

Sub Test()
Dim Doc As String
Doc = "C:\aaa\1234.doc"
Set wordApp = CreateObject("word.Application")
With wordApp
.Documents.Open Doc
.Visible = True
.DataSource = "C:\AAA\1234.mdb"
.DataSource.QueryString = "SELECT * FROM `qry_1234` WHERE `ID` = " & TextBox1.Text
End With
End Sub

jo15765
11-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Would hte above code go in Word or in my Excel form? I am attaching a template as to how I am trying to set it up, and I have the code already functioning for my top textbox.

Kenneth Hobs
11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Jo15765, your xls file had nothing in it.

I am not sure how this thread is different than your thread last month. Did you decide to go ahead and use VBA rather than c#? http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39586

You say that you want to use the SQL string in Access which is CommandText. You also want to use a parameter. IF you insist on using a parameter in MSWord or Excel then no elegant solution is possible that I know of. The examples that I posted in this thread and the other show how to use a built SQL string or use a stored SQL in Access.

To best help, make very simple example files. Otherwise we come up with a 10 solutions and you wanted solution 11. While this does take time, it is worth it from the perspective of the scope of your need. Zip and post a DOC, MDB, and XLS file or Microsoft 2010 equivalent files. The MDB should have 1-2 tables with the stored SQL's if that is what you want to use. The DOC file would be a manually built mailmerge that could possibly be queried for it's SQL string and then add a Where clause with the value of the Excel Textbox control. To use a parameter value, you would instead be using a Where clause in your SQL string.

Mdmackillop, your MSWord QueryString should probably have the value encapsulated in slanted quotes. As I read his posts, he does not want to send a QueryString. Obviously, that is the easier method though.

jo15765
12-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Attached is a zip file, with an access database, an excel spreadsheet/userform with VBA code behind, and the word doc.