PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Add new record of data to existing worksheet

JimS
12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a worksheet with several rows of data in Columns A-J called “Original”.

I manually add some notes in Column K on the “Original” worksheet.

Each row of data represents a “record of data” being made up by a single row of data in Columns A-J.

I need to add new records of data to the Original worksheet from a different worksheet containing several rows of data, BUT only if the records are new.

Once again a record being a single row of data made up of Columns A-J.

Basically I need to evaluate the row of data (Columns A-J only) and add it to the worksheet only if it's a new record.

I have attached an example file.

Any ideas?

Thanks…
JimS

p45cal
12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Is there one column to look at which decides whether a record is new or not, or does the whole row need looking at?

JimS
12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Unfortunately the entire row needs to be evaluated (Columns A-J).

p45cal
12-13-2011, 03:27 AM
I don't have a machine with excel 2007 on it to hand, but can't you just add all the possibly new records under the existing records in the Original sheet, then select all the records and remove duplicates? I think this will evaluate all columns in the records for similarity.

Look at Method 5 here: http://www.mrexcel.com/tip138.shtml
and a you tube vid here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM6Q7cPph1c).

Aussiebear
12-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Is there a limit to the number of fields used to evaluate?

p45cal
12-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Is there a limit to the number of fields used to evaluate?As I said, I don't have a version 2007 up to try this on, but an internet search doesn't show up any limitation. Ultimately, I suppose there could be one; did you ask because you strongly suspect the existence of such a limitation?

JimS
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
I can use the Remove Dups by deselecting the Notes Column.

Thanks for your help...

JimS

Aussiebear
12-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Just curious. I suspect there might be a limitation but when you think about it, there probably not that many times when you need to 10 columns to see if its a new record.