PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2010 .oft

RSMF
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

First time poster here :)

I have been tasked by my manager to come up with a way to make Outlook 2010 behave in a similar way to 2003 when it comes to opening .oft files from a remote location.

We have a number of email templates that are used on a very regular basis stored in Sharepoint. Prior to the 2010 upgrade, we were able to click on the oft files within sharepoint and the email template would load without issue. With 2010 we are unable to do this and we are directed towards the rather clunky way of opening them via New Items>More Items>Choose Forms. The act of doing this is not a huge issue, however, this means we have to store the templates locally on each machine. For auditing and procedure purposes this is less than ideal as we could potentially have users using outdated and incorrect templates.

My question is: Is there a way to code a macro for Outlook which will check the time stamp on the Sharepoint oft and compare against the locally stored oft. If the locally stored oft has a time stamp earlier than the Sharepoint oft then display a message telling the use they cannot continue until they download the most recent version.

OR

Better still, just a piece of code that will negate the need to store the oft locally and will just open the required template directly from the Sharepoint location?

Any and all help will be greatly received.

Thank you in advance

Regards
RSMF

edsac64
04-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Hello all,

I'm a newbie to this forum as well and am in the same position as RSMF.

Does anyone have a possible solution or even a hunch that might be worth exploring.

When I try running the macro using the Application.CreateItemFromTemplate object method, I get the following error message:

"The file cannot be opened....The file may not exist... followed by advice to check for the file, permission,.........

Is there another method I should be using, or an Outlook add-in that will allow the direct communication with SharePoint?