PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to migrate data using visual basic in access with other systems?

wedd
01-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Hi experts,

I've been trying to migrate data from ms access 2010 into sql, sas etc. Are there any excllent books, websites or possibly personal experience you have of visual basic code to automate this process? I have limited knowledge doing migrations or "communicating" between different systems using vba code...so it will be very useful and interesting for me if you could share your expertise in this area to broading my knowledge of visual basic for access...

Thanks for your contributions:friends:

HiTechCoach
01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
When you migrate data data from Aces that usually means you are converting away form Access to a new system.

I do lots of data migrations. Every migration is different. How to get data intot he new system depend a lot on the new systems capabilities. The best and simpliest is when you can create linked tables to the new system. Some will only import data using so tool in the new system.

wedd
01-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi HiTechCoach, what would be the process to link tables from access to another database system such as sql, oracle etc? Will this process also involve programming with visual basic to communicate with the other database systems?

HiTechCoach
01-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Hi HiTechCoach, what would be the process to link tables from access to another database system such as sql, oracle etc?

1) install the ODBC driver
2) Create a DSN
3) On the Access menu/ribbon create a linked table

This can usually be done manually in less than 5 minutes. No need to write an VBA code.

Will this process also involve programming with visual basic to communicate with the other database systems?

You code use VBA code to

1) install the ODBC driver
2) Create a DSN
3) create a linked table

Normally with a migration is is a one time thing. So it is probably ot worth the effort to try and write a lot of code to handle the this.

wedd
01-18-2012, 04:42 AM
Thanks!

HiTechCoach
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
you're welcome.