PDA

View Full Version : Can access be stored on a network for multi-users?

wedd
01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi experts, Can access be stored on a network for multi-users to have access to the database at the same time? As I have issues...I would like multi users to have access to editing records....however access keeps locking me out when someone else is usung the database and I'm not sure what to do...is their a solution to resolve this? I'm not sure how robust access is...can it be utilised into c# or vb.net to be accessed online?

Thanks for your contributions:friends:

HiTechCoach
01-24-2012, 11:31 PM
By Access I think you are really mean a (Access) database and not the actual Access (software or application).

To properly share a Access database is must be split. Only the back end is shared. Every user will have their own copy of the app/front end

See: Splitting your Access database into application and data (http://www.hitechcoach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35:split-your-access-database-into-application-anddata&catid=65:split-database)

wedd
01-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi, HiTechCoach! Great article! But the company I work for want all the users to have access to the ms access database in particular the front end at the same time...that's the issue...and they would like the access database to be available as an online portal too...

HiTechCoach
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi, HiTechCoach! Great article! But the company I work for want all the users to have access to the ms access database in particular the front end at the same time...that's the issue...

Splitting resloe all the issues. Splitting the app allows you to do exactly what you need.

Multi-users apps are difficult. There is a lot more to it that just sharing a file.

People/Companies may say they want all the users to have access to the ms access database in particular the front end at the same time. What they really mean is that the want to share the data. This means all the users will need to access the back end at the same time NOT the font end. This is true of all multi-user appreciations. Including web sites. A web site is a back end. The browser on each users PC/device is the front end. Access is not different. Website are also split apps. The front end is the ASP/PHP/web scripts that generates the HTML to be sent the the end user's PC/device. The back end is the data storage which is commonly an SQL Server.

...and they would like the access database to be available as an online portal too...

The short answer is that it is not possible with an unsplit Access database.

Access is not design to work through a portal. Access is a Rich Client/Desktop software that run over a LAN not through a portal on a web server.

MadonnaC
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
I have created a database that has an access front end, and a web frontend for remote users. It's possible, but beware of the amount of users - it seems Access performance diminishes exponentially with the number of users :)
After reaching double digits, consider an MSSQL (or other proper database provider) as the backend. You can still use access & web as front end, so it shouldn't be too much of a change.

HiTechCoach
02-03-2012, 08:19 AM
I have created a database that has an access front end, and a web frontend for remote users. It's possible, but beware of the amount of users - it seems Access performance diminishes exponentially with the number of users :)
After reaching double digits, consider an MSSQL (or other proper database provider) as the backend. You can still use access & web as front end, so it shouldn't be too much of a change.

Great point. :thumb

Movian
02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
With MSSQL Express being completly free i would recomend using it if there is more than 1 user TBH. Gets you into good habits using ADO instead of DAO( I know you can use ADO for access tables but using sql FORCES you to use ado) and saves you converting later on if the number of people expands.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/express.aspx

:)

Also Wedd, don't forget to mark the thread as solved when your problem is resolved.

HiTechCoach
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Gets you into good habits using ADO instead of DAO( I know you can use ADO for access tables but using sql FORCES you to use ado) and saves you converting later on if the number of people expands.

:eek: ??? Not sure why you think using an SQL Server back end forces you to use ADO.

DAO work with many SQL Servers as the back end. I have several applications where a single front end uses DAO and linked tables. I can switch the back end between a JET (.mdb) back end or a MS SQL Server back end.

Movian
02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
When i did my research before switching from Access to SQL i was told (in several places) that DAO was access specific and i needed to use ADO for SQL...

HiTechCoach
02-06-2012, 09:58 PM
With the release of Access 200 there was a push by Microsoft to use an SQL Server Back end or MSDE. There was also a push to use ADO. When Access 2000 created a new MDB it would set the reference for ADO not DAO. That did not last long. By Access 2002 the shift was back to DAO.

I find DAO still the best when working with linked tables. I only use ADO to open a recordset via a connection not a linked table.