PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Why are templates & headers/footers included in the lock of a document section?

Ice-Tea-Jan
02-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Hello,

A Word 2007 document is attached where only Section 2 is locked with the password “password.” This was locked via “filling in forms” and selecting Section 2.

This certainly locked the section (red font); but it ALSO automatically locked the header/footer area, and disallowed any other template to be attached.

Is there any way I can lock those words (or that section) ~without~ also locking the headers/footers, or the ability to attach another template?

Unfortunately, we can’t allow the end-users to have any password because they tamper with legal wording. However, we still need to allow them access to edit the headers/footers; and in future time, we will need to update the template it is attached to.

Thanking you for any help or suggestions . . .

fumei
02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Headers/footers are child objects of Section, therefore if the Section (parent) is locked, so is the child. Sorry but that is the way object models work.

Ice-Tea-Jan
02-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Thank you Fumei for taking the time to answer.

I found the "Content Control" feature via surfing around, and it appears to work -- it does not lock any other portion of the document.

Select the text that you want to protect and then click the Group command in the Controls group on the Developer Tab. Select Group. Now when you try to make changes to the locked content, the error message "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked" is displayed in the Status Bar. Although locked content cannot be changed, it can de deleted. That is, unless you click on the properties button in the same group and check Content Control Cannot Be Deleted.

Will contine to test . . .

fumei
02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
That locks a "chunk" of text, not a Section. Which may be just what you want.

Ice-Tea-Jan
02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Fumei,

Apologies . . .:bow:

I was relying on the section break method because that was the only method I knew how to try.

But in reality, all I wanted was the text locked.

So far, it appears to work as I had hoped.

I just need to make sure it renders to PDF properly.

Finding this method is really is "freeing" for me on this project.

I was going around in circles -- trying NOT to lock in templates and NOT lock header/footer areas. I had even re-worked a floating autoshape because that darn lock -- had locked that TOO!:bug:

But all this is certainly a learning experience . . .

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me.

Janet

Ice-Tea-Jan
02-04-2012, 10:51 PM
marking this solved!

Thanks again!