PDA

View Full Version : Programmatically updating VBA macros in old spreadsheets

justin404
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Hello all,

I've got a bit of a problem that I'm trying to deal with and I'm not sure of the best way to go about it.

Back in 2007, I had somewhat of a summer internship for an HVAC contractor company and created a few spreadsheets for them that helped manage their extra work quotes. The spreadsheets have since stopped working (due to network changes, and some bad assumptions on my part), and they have contacted me to fix them.

Essentially, there are 2 main files in question - XW Template.xls and XW Quote Log.xls

XW Template.xls contains a sheet named "Template" which basically has some fields that the user will input, then when the user goes to Save/Save As, a sub routine kicks off that copies the data from the respective cells into the XW Quote Log.xls. The user can then assign a custom name to the XW Template.xls file through the normal SaveAsUI dialog.

The XW Quote Log.xls contains a sheet named "Extra Work Quotation Summaries" which essentially contains all of the data from the template (IE one row in the XW Quote Log.xls file corresponds to one XW Template.xls workbook).

The initial problem was that the XW Template.xls book stopped copying the data over to the XW Quote Log.xls file. I was able to fix that relatively quickly, but this is only a "going forward" change. They would essentially have to use the new version of the XW Template.xls file, with the updated macros, for all quotes entered from here on out.

Unfortunately, this is not an ideal solution. They are looking for the ability to go back to older Templates that they have saved, edit some of the information, and then re-save the old template to have it import into the XW Quote Log.xls file.

The issue that I am faced with now is how can I programmatically update (potentially) thousands of workbooks with my updated macro code? I'm not sure if this is even possible with just VBA.

I'm currently a java developer, so I've been thinking I could leverage some java toolkits to get this task done. My current thoughts are as follows:

1) Using the Apache Commons POI library (can't link to it since this is my first post -- but google Apache POI for more info) I could write a script to iterate over each spreadsheet, copy the data from the old sheet, into a new sheet that already has the updated macro, then save the file.

2) I could try to use VBA to iterate over each workbook, copying the pertinent data into a new workbook with the updated macro.

3) If this is even possible, using VBA iterate over all of the workbooks, and programmatically replacing the BeforeSave macro with my new version.

Aside from this, I'm not sure what other options there may be. Unfortunately just telling them to use my new version is not going to cut it. The people that use these spreadsheets are not very tech savvy, so whatever solution that I come up with needs to involve the user as minimally as possible. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Bob Phillips
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Separate the code into its own workbook, then you can ignore the code in the templates. Change the code workbook to just refer to a specifc workbook, not ThisWorkbook.

justin404
02-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I am a little confused on how separating the code into its own workbook would help me essentially convert these older spreadsheets? Please correct me if I am wrong, but this also sounds like this would only work for templates going forward? The original code was saved under ThisWorkbook, so does that pose a problem?

Thanks for the quick response!

justin404
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
After thinking about this some more, I think I get what you are saying. I was definitely over-thinking the issue.

If I give them a button to open a file on the main template, I could just import the data into the new template from the old template. The format of the template hasn't changed, so that should make things a bit easier.

I would imagine its possible to override the File > Open functionality, so that might be a better option? I'll have to search Google for more info on that.

Thanks for your help!

Bob Phillips
02-07-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't think you even need to import old into new, if the template format is the same you can re-use the old templates, just ignoring its code.

Your code workbook, which you would distribute to your users, would be better hidden from view, an addin works well here. It would then have some mechanism for the user to go fetch the template that they want to work with, probably preferably a menu item or ribbon button. This would trigger a file browser, you then open the file and set a workbook object varioable to the workbook, and then do you stuff to that workbook object.