PDA

View Full Version : xl2003 and Win7

MWE
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I recently purchased a new computer with Win7 (64 bit). I hate Office2007/2010 so I loaded Office2003 as a 32 bit application. I have noticed a number of funny things in Excel:
Excel files on the C: drive can not be opened. The file is physically there and can be seen using a file manager, but when I try to open it, I get an error indicating that the file can not be found. Files on any other partition open OK. I do not normally store any data files on the C: drive, but did stumble across this strange behavior
after a bit of fiddling, I figured out where to locate my personal.xls file (copied over from an XP system). This is an exception to the problem above. It "opens" correctly when I open Excel but macros in that file do not execute as I would expect. On my XP machines, the "target" workbook for the macros is whatever the activeworkbook is. On the Win7 machine, they assume that Personal.xls is the activeworkbook.Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior?

frank_m
02-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Hi MWE,

Are you sure that you have your personal.xls in the xlstart folder?

to find the path open excel
hit alt f11 to get to the VBE
hit ctrl g to see the immediate window
type this and hit enter:
?application.StartupPath
http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming/331751-where-does-personal-xls-go.html