PDA

View Full Version : Using Pivot Tables in Excel to show Qualifications over time

riessbeck
02-23-2012, 02:45 AM
I am trying to achieve reports based on a user and what qualification they have and draw a timeline for it.

Simply put:

name / qualification name / Date attained
----------------------------------------------
joe bloggs / Digging Holes / 01/01/12
joe bloggs / Filling Holes / 31/12/11
jim jones / Helping Fill / 01/01/12

So a side bar graph. Joe bloggs will have 2 lines with different points on the graph to show when acheived. i need this timeline to stretch from 01/01/11 - 31/12/13.

So we can track what quals each person has and what they need to attain over that time 2 year period....

I have tried quite a few times with excel 2010..... ms access sort of can do it... but my goal is for excel being a lighter interface to use.

thanks for your help in advance.

cheers:banghead:

raji2678
02-23-2012, 11:06 PM
As my understanding goes, you would like the graphs to be refreshed when the data in the pivot chart changes, right? This is possible if you set the range of the charts dynamically.

Aussiebear
02-24-2012, 04:00 PM
As my understanding goes, you would like the graphs to be refreshed when the data in the pivot chart changes, right? This is possible if you set the range of the charts dynamically.
I am unable to see any reference to a pivot chart in the OP's post. A table of data has been presented and from that a dynamic chart is requested to show qualifications gained over a set period.

raji2678
02-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Whether is is a pivot table or a range of cells, the data source for a chart can be set at runtime