PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem occurring with VBA during Log Off

Lucy234
03-06-2012, 11:08 AM
When I am in a Word and I log off from Windows, when I log back in, the first thing I see is VBA....???

Same happens if I exit MS Word completely and Then log off..VBA keeps poping up every time I log back in to Windows....

Talis
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
vbax strikes back!

Lucy234
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
:giggles: I am serious lol.

Talis
03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
First of all launch the Group Policy Editor by clicking Start => Run, then type gpedit.msc and hit Enter.
Now in the left pane navigate to the User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts(Log on/Log off) option.

Double click the Logon option from the main window.

In the panel that appears is there something you can 'Remove'?

Talis
03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Also try:

Right click the Start menu
Choose Explore

Navigate through the folders - Your Account> Start Menu > Programs > Startup

Does the Startup folder contain a shortcut for VBA? If so remove it.

fumei
03-06-2012, 10:21 PM
"VBA keeps poping up every time I log back in to Windows...."

This is not possible. VBA is not a stand alone executable. VBA can ONLY be seen when in an Office application.

"Navigate through the folders - Your Account> Start Menu > Programs > Startup

Does the Startup folder contain a shortcut for VBA? If so remove it."

This is not possible. VBA is not a stand alone executable. VBA can ONLY be seen when in an Office application. There is NO shortcut that can point to "VBA".

There is some misunderstanding, which is not surprising.

Lucy234
03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
First of all launch the Group Policy Editor by clicking Start => Run, then type gpedit.msc and hit Enter.
Now in the left pane navigate to the User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts(Log on/Log off) option.

Double click the Logon option from the main window.

In the panel that appears is there something you can 'Remove'?

This makes sense..Thank you.

Lucy234
03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
"VBA keeps poping up every time I log back in to Windows...."

This is not possible. VBA is not a stand alone executable. VBA can ONLY be seen when in an Office application.

"Navigate through the folders - Your Account> Start Menu > Programs > Startup

Does the Startup folder contain a shortcut for VBA? If so remove it."

This is not possible. VBA is not a stand alone executable. VBA can ONLY be seen when in an Office application. There is NO shortcut that can point to "VBA".

There is some misunderstanding, which is not surprising.

You are always so negative..I think you need to eat a chocolate.

fumei
03-06-2012, 10:56 PM
I think you need to be polite. It is not "negative" to state an actual fact. It is not possible for Startup to have a shortcut to VBA. There are no shortcuts to VBA.

Is it negative to state the sky is blue?

The fact that you state: "This makes sense.." only demonstrates the vastness of your ignorance.

macropod
03-07-2012, 04:00 AM
I think you need to eat a chocolate.http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18ces_lucy-chocolates_fun

Talis
03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Re. post #5
OK, so it would be a shortcut to WINWORD.EXE, my error in posting. It was rushed as i was in the middle of some important farm work.

Lucy, if you still have the log on problem try shutting down Word then go to the task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and under the Processes tab see if WINWORD.EXE is still there.
I'm wondering also if you're really logging off. Could you be just going into hibernation mode by closing the laptop lid?

fumei
03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Yes, it must be a shortcut to an executable (be winword.exe or excel.exe). VBA is Visual Basic for APPLICATIONS. It must use an application. It can not load by itself (use a shortcut).

Even then, the application MUST use some sort of AutoExec instruction to load up VBA. There is no setting that loads up VBA itself.

The OP states: When I am in a Word and I log off from Windows, when I log back in, the first thing I see is VBA....???

I do not believe this at all. It is just NOT possible. You MUST see an application first and then you can only see VBA (the editor) if you make an instruction to see the editor.

Which is why I state there is some misunderstanding. Lucy234 is seeing something no doubt...but it is not VBA. If she is seeing some actions of VBA (possible) then she has something in some sort of AutoExec, but she MUST be seeing an application FIRST.

But it has likely nothing to do (at all) with logging off Windows.

It is possible that the suggestion if may not be a logging off, but a hibernation mode issue is correct. Finding out would require the OP to give accurate responses to questions. This is somewhat unlikely considering the OP history.

Nevertheless, while hibernation mode may be an issue, it is unlikely that waking up would cause any actions by VBA. We simply do not know what is really happening for the OP. It could be that she is seeing the VBA editor, goes into hibernation, wakes up...and is seeing what she had before.

In which case, it is not even a problem, now is it.

Frosty
03-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I could see the following scenario...

Something in Word startup (it could even be a macro enabled document) which is automatically launched... and then when the document is open (or the global addin is launched), you could have some code which hides the primary window (via application.visible = false or some such) and also shows the VBA editor window. If there was some error in the code, then there would be some sort of message like "Debug, Continue, End" etc.

But it would take some knowledge to set that up, and most scenarios (apart from an error message box) I would think it would be malicious work (i.e., akin to a virus).

Perhaps the OP is as diplomatic with people she knows in real life who have access to her machine, as she is with people on this board? :)

fumei
03-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Agreed. IF in fact it is the VBA editor that is showing...which we do NOT know. I see no way to get the editor showing unless there is some instruction to show it, and IF it is showing immediately then yes it must be in some sort of add-in or autoexec macro. And yes SOMEONE had to write that.

But that has nothing to do with any Windows logging off.

There just is not enough information to say what is going on.

Lucy234
03-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Re. post #5
OK, so it would be a shortcut to WINWORD.EXE, my error in posting. It was rushed as i was in the middle of some important farm work.

Lucy, if you still have the log on problem try shutting down Word then go to the task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and under the Processes tab see if WINWORD.EXE is still there.
I'm wondering also if you're really logging off. Could you be just going into hibernation mode by closing the laptop lid?

winword.exe keeps running even when I close down the Word. When I remove it from the processes VBA doesn't open anymore when I log back in.