PDA

View Full Version : Solved: 64 Bit Excel

ronjon65
03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
How common is it to have problems when using the 64 Bit version of Excel? I have distributed an Excel file with quite a bit of VBA and every once in a while I hear from users that it won't work.

It usually starts with "Compile error in hidden module..."

Though I have not fully isolated the problem (and can not duplicate it), one theory is that it is a problem with 64 Bit versions of Office (not a problem on a 64 bit OS).

Perhaps this helps?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-HA010369476.aspx

Jan Karel Pieterse
03-09-2012, 01:39 AM
64 bit Excel is unable to use 32 bit activeX controls for starters. So if your file uses the treeview control or a control from the "common controls" of windows, your workbook will generate compile errors.
Also, using Windows API requires special precautions to ensure they work on 64 bit Excel. See:
www.jkp-ads.com/articles/apideclarations.asp (http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/apideclarations.asp)

Finally: you may be using a control that does not appear on some installations of Office. A well known one is the calendar control, that used to ship only with Office professional and was omitted from Office 2010 entirely.

ronjon65
03-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks, that is quite helpful.

Is there any easy way to test this and work on it? I am thinking I need a new machine and software, which is expensive.

Jan Karel Pieterse
03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
All you need is a 64 bit machine (most recent ones are) and a 64 bit Operating system, install Office 64 bit on that and you can start testing. ALternatively, install virtual machine software (like VMWare) which can hold a 64 bit installation of Windows on such a machine and install Office 64 bit in that so you can keep working with 32 bit Office in the main machine (my setup).

ronjon65
03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I like the VMWare approach. I have a 64 bit OS and 32 bit Office, but don't like to mess with my setup. That tends to create a bigger problem.

The virtual approach may work OK or I will just try to find a cheap laptop.