PDA

View Full Version : Time card workbook - need advice/help please

shelbsassy
03-13-2012, 05:13 AM
I have almost the same question as Aussiebeasr did on a previous thread but since it was so old I thought I would start a new one.

What I need is relatively simple, or so I thought. I have employee names in one column and across the top are the dates of the week and hours are put under each employee for each day. A calculation is at the end calculating the total hours and then the summary has their rate multiplied for the gross pay. The way it is now, it seems about impossible to try and create a pivot table from that, at least on an ongoing basis.

I was pondering whether this should be done in Access vs Excel. I have exhausted searches on the internet trying to help me with what I am trying to do.

I have attached a copy of the workbook we are currently using so you can get a better idea of what I am trying to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bob Phillips
03-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Change your spreadsheets.

Have a single input sheet where you have names in column A, data validation driven, dates in column B, hours in column C.

If you have Excel 2010, this might be better in PowerPivot, otherwise have columns D and E with =YEAR(B2) and MONTH(B2) as formulae.

Pivotting then is easy peasy.