PDA

View Full Version : Getting Password Prompt while exiting vba project..

harish1805
03-26-2012, 02:40 AM
I have a big Excel-VBA project, when few users try to exit from the project after using, they get password prompt. They have to keep clicking cancel repeatedly on the password prompt to go. Please let me know how to solve it. Found many discussions on web that its because of Google Desktop, but here the users doesn't have Google desktop loaded on the system. Please help!

Aflatoon
03-26-2012, 04:29 AM
It's not just Google Desktop. Any COM addins you have might be the cause - as I think you have already been told (http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622590).

harish1805
03-26-2012, 05:16 AM
It's not just Google Desktop. Any COM addins you have might be the cause - as I think you have already been told (http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622590).
I wanted to know if there any other workaround other than removing COM addins. It may need a system admin to remove those addins in users systems. This project is distributed to many users and it will not be easy to remove addins for the users whom its not working. Any other workaround for this?

Aflatoon
03-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Not that I am aware of, no.

harish1805
03-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Not that I am aware of, no.

Can you tell me what is the reason they are getting this error, so that I can explain these users.

Aflatoon
03-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Not specifically no - as best I know, the addins hold references to the workbooks that prevent them from closing properly (presumably due to imperfect garbage collection) which is why you see the projects in the VBE. I could not begin to tell you the precise mechanics of what is happening under the hood.

harish1805
03-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Not specifically no - as best I know, the addins hold references to the workbooks that prevent them from closing properly (presumably due to imperfect garbage collection) which is why you see the projects in the VBE. I could not begin to tell you the precise mechanics of what is happening under the hood.

Thanks a lot for explaining!! Please do let me know if you can find any alternative solution for this.

tpoynton
03-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I got this from a microsoft KB article as I recall, but can not find it at the moment. Assuming Excel 2007/2010, do this on the affected machine:

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Excel Options.

Click Advanced, and then scroll to the General area click to clear the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" check box.
If this is checked, uncheck it.

Click OK.

This fixed the problem for one of my users - however, it could cause others if they need the DDE functionality...