PDA

View Full Version : Update Master File from other workbook

chatnet26
03-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Dear Gentlemen,

I am newbie here in this forum, and while visiting yesterday I'm getting interest to part of a member. And as while exploring I've read some post which put me in encourage.

I'am currently working here in KSA one of the largest petrochemical. I will receive everyday update from the units which is time-consuming to update the data manually. Is there a possibility to update the master file from other workbook using vba?

The other sources have had similar content from our master data. So I may think that thru visual basic I can update the master data with a less hassle.

Any help is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bob Phillips
03-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, we cannot tell you how without seeing the workbooks in question, how the data is structured.

chatnet26
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
He Sir,

Thanks to your quick response.

This data consist of information from the daily report from the Units. So this Master Data will be submitted every day to the executive management. The columns are data's of each unit as monitoring of the products and output. So as a plant there were 12 units which is I am doing this daily basis to update this data, consist of numbers and text.

Is it require Sir you to upload this information? unfortunately I could not share this as consist of highly information.

Best Regards,

Bob Phillips
03-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Can you not obfuscate the confidential data?

defcon_3
03-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Yes create a dummy file similar to your worksheet with different values, and post it back. Solution will be quickly provided if you already have the sample workbook or working code to tweak. :)

chatnet26
03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Dear Guys,

Many thanks to your immediate response. Here is the attached sample data. I can relate a little bit of the vba code but am not expert on this methodology so far really I don't have yet a code to post. Thus might be you can shared and I will try to expound my knowledge in order to adopt the sequence and logic.

My Best Regards,

chatnet26
03-28-2012, 07:14 AM
He guys,

I really need your help, pray2: and apologize for this manner.

Best Regards,

Bob Phillips
03-28-2012, 07:50 AM
That workbook seems far too limited. Firstly all of the data is showing #NAME becaue it uses a UDF which is not in the workbook. And is that the master or the book(s) to be updated? What does the other look like and what are the updating rules>

chatnet26
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi Sir,

Sorry for my late reply. That book came from the units everyday as I mention is that an info of monitoring the plant so from that I will received 11 workbook of each unit which means that I have had to upload it in a Master file record but we will keep each of this for further reference. The master data is the same from the example attached but each sheet refers to each unit. Is there a chance to do this application through macro instead of updating manually.

Best Regards,

Bob Phillips
03-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I am sure it can, but I have to admit I have no idea what it is that you do manually, so I don't know how to automate it. The workbook that you posted gave me no enlightenment whatsoever.