PDA

View Full Version : Updating my CSV File

Opv
04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I have created the following snipped to keep a CSV version of my contact list updated as changes are made to the XLS file. I'm planning to implement the code either using a Worksheet_Change (unless there is a better alternative for Excel 2000) after I get it working properly.

Sub testCVS()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Dim wbk As Workbook
Dim cel, rng As Range

Set wbk = Workbooks.Add

Workbooks("CONTACTS.xls").Sheets("MyContacts").Copy wbk.Sheets(1)

With wbk

.Sheets(1).Name = "MyContacts"
.Sheets(2).Delete
.Sheets(3).Delete
.Sheets(2).Delete
.Sheets("MyContacts").AutoFilterMode = False

Set rng = .Sheets("MyContacts").Range("A1", .Sheets("MyContacts").Range("A1").End(xlToRight)) 'IN NEW WORKBOOK

For Each cel In rng

If cel.Value = "FirstName" Or _
cel.Value = "LastName" Or _
cel.Value = "Email1" Or _
cel.Value = "Notes" Then

cel.Offset(0, 1).Select

Else: cel.EntireColumn.Delete

End If

Next

End With

'wbk.SaveAs FileName:="C:\Users\Opv\My Documents\Contacts.csv", _
' FileFormat:=xlCSV, CreateBackup:=False
'wbk.Close

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Since my contact database is rather extensive and complex, what I'm wanting is to accomplish after the new workbook is created is delete all blank worksheets, then delete all columns in the new workbook except those identified before saving the new workbook as a CSV file. For some reason, my FOR loop is not deleting the superfluous columns. Also, if there is an easier way to accomplish this, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Opv.

CatDaddy
04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
else should not have a colon

also you might want to try this for your range:
Set rng = .Sheets("MyContacts").Range("A1", .Sheets("MyContacts").Range("CZ1").End(xlToLeft))

Opv
04-03-2012, 12:51 PM
else should not have a colon

also you might want to try this for your range:
Set rng = .Sheets("MyContacts").Range("A1", .Sheets("MyContacts").Range("CZ1").End(xlToLeft))

Thanks. Whenever I type the "Else" statement and include the code to be executed on the same line with else, my VBA editor automatically inserts the colon. However, if I press return and put the code a different line, the colon is not inserted.

CatDaddy
04-03-2012, 12:52 PM
i might be wrong about the else, sorry

himanshug
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
:bouncy: