PDA

View Full Version : Macro to search for string in multiple worksheets and display results

timmo246
04-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Hello,

I'm just a beginner at VBA and need help to build a macro to search for values (unique ID) from 1 workbook containing one worksheet in another workbook containing 8 worksheets and then display the result in the first workbook.

I would like the macro to run in a file called 'G_W_P.xlsx' that contains a unique ID string (e.g. CBX246) in Column A only. Column A has approximately 400 rows.

The macro would need to look at Row 2 in Column A of this workbook ('G_W_P.xlsx') and search for the unique ID fom that cell within Column A of eight different sheets of a second workbook file called 'G&W - S&C.xlsx'.

I would like the macro to display the worksheet(s) from 'G&W - S&C.xlsx' where the unique ID was found in Column B, C, D etc. of 'G_W_P.clsx' next to the unique ID that was searched for.

The macro would then repeat the process for all rows within the first workbook ('G_W_P.xlsx').

Could someone tell me if this is possible and how hard it would be to code?

Many thanks,
Tim.

georgiboy
04-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

You could try something like this... but there may be a much faster way using "Find".

This might help though.
Sub Example()
Dim rCell As Range, pCell As Range, ws As Worksheet, x As Long

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\B.xlsx"

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
For Each rCell In .Range("A2:A" & .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Cells
x = 0
For Each ws In Workbooks("B.xlsx").Worksheets
For Each pCell In ws.Range("A2:A" & ws.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Cells
If UCase(pCell.Value) = UCase(rCell.Value) Then
x = x + 1
rCell.Offset(, x).Value = pCell.Worksheet.Name & " " & Replace(pCell.Address, "$", "")
End If
Next pCell
Next ws
Next rCell
End With

Workbooks("B.xlsx").Close False

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Hope this helps