PDA

View Full Version : Importing data into Excel based on Month

Kinez101
04-23-2012, 06:22 AM
This process usually takes me about 1-2 days to complete. I would like to automate it by importing data from trial balances I download automatically into Months based on a month selected. See attached file. It'd be based on month and based on account and I do not know how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob Phillips
04-23-2012, 10:28 AM
If this takes you 1-2 days per month, it must be worth paying 2 days money for :)

I am not sure I understand the UT, DC stuff yet (presumably that is just the source categorisation), but when you say load the data I guess you mean from a file. or several files. Where will they reside, and what do they look like?

Kinez101
04-23-2012, 10:38 AM
If this takes you 1-2 days per month, it must be worth paying 2 days money for :)

I am not sure I understand the UT, DC stuff yet (presumably that is just the source categorisation), but when you say load the data I guess you mean from a file. or several files. Where will they reside, and what do they look like?

UT, DC are sites. Trial Balances will reside in sub folder /TB of the original file and will be named according as UT01, DC01, UT02, DC02 where numbers correspond to month(Several files). Trial Balance has 4 columns - Account, Category, Description and Amount.

Bob Phillips
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
I do not understand the term ... sub folder /TB of the original file. This file has a sheet called TB By Site, but that was what I assumed that you were loading from somewhere else. I see it has links to another file, which you haven't posted.

Kinez101
04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
File would be in a folder called TB...attached is example of the file I'd be importing...each month would have one

Bob Phillips
04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Well it certainly is hard work squeezing the info out of you, but bit by bit. That has the account lines, we know the file is in a month folder, but where is the site details, UT, DC, etc, so as to allocate.

Kinez101
04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
That would be file name UT02, DC02. I could also work around and put all of them into one file ...Whatever is easier to do. I could even insert a column and name them UT, DU, DC...

Bob Phillips
04-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Listen, it really would be much more helpful if you gave us the WHOLE picture, what you have, what you want to do, rather than this drip-feeding of information when we are smart enough/lucky enough to ask the right question. Once we have the whole picture, we can start to look at the solution, which might be a complete code solution, might be a bit of code based upon suggested changes, or might suggest you start from the beginning. But tell us everything, or we (I for sure) will just give up on you.

Kinez101
04-24-2012, 04:41 AM
I run trial balance every month. I get 4 files - one file per site (UT, DU, DC, EC) and the files look exactly as you see them . Then I do VLoookup which feeds the main sheet like the one you see attached. From main worksheet which is basically summary of trial balance per month I do consolidating Financial Statements. I would like to be able to select month and import those 4 files based on the account/site instead of basically spending hours doing VLookup. If I select February on main page, I'd like to import trial balances to February range on TB by Site sheet and so forth. The rest of consolidated statements are based on the trial balance. I am not sure how else to explain it. I can name files any way you want and do copy and paste once they are imported. I wish I could attach more than one file at the same time so you could see what I am trying to do...I am accountant and I stink at describing things. Numbers are my things, not words...I don't know how else to describe it.

Kinez101
04-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I run trial balance every month. I get 4 files - one file per site (UT, DU, DC, EC) and the files look exactly as you see them . Then I do VLoookup which feeds the main sheet like the one you see attached. From main worksheet which is basically summary of trial balance per month I do consolidating Financial Statements. I would like to be able to select month and import those 4 files based on the account/site instead of basically spending hours doing VLookup. If I select February on main page, I'd like to import trial balances to February range on TB by Site sheet and so forth. The rest of consolidated statements are based on the trial balance. I am not sure how else to explain it. I can name files any way you want and do copy and paste once they are imported. I wish I could attach more than one file at the same time so you could see what I am trying to do...I am accountant and I stink at describing things. Numbers are my things, not words...I don't know how else to describe it.

See attached files...I'd like to import Monthly Trial Balance into Consolidated_FS file based on the site and month selected from Main Menu.