PDA

View Full Version : Thought On Mail Merge Automation Between Excel and Word : Hands Free!

JennyEx
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I am developing my skills in VBA by creating a user friendly application utilizing Excel VBA to, in a nutshell, create and process a database to be used as the source of data for a Word mail merge. My skills in VBA are self taught, through online research, help from kind knowledgeable forum followers, and lots of trial and error.

Now that my database has been created, and is a stable source for a mail merge document, and my mail merge documents have been developed and successful in accepting data for a directory style document, the time has come to try to integrate them.

From Excel, the user may choose to create one of 16 different documents based on the data in the database. The 16 different documents are based on the recipient lists of the particular merge.

Currently, all I can automate is Excel opening the appropriate mail merge document. It still requires the user to manipulate the mail merge controls to create the final document. In an effort to make the process of finalizing the directory style mail merge document as hands off for the user as possible, I turn to you pros in an effort to find appropriate Word based VBA code to do the following:

Excel opens the appropriate mail merge document ...

a) the new final document is compiled based on the recipient factors associated with the mail merge document
b) the created file is given a unique file name
c) is saved
d) and finally printed
e) before clsing Word and returning to Excel

All this with no (or very little) user input. There is no need for the user to see the document thus avoiding any urge to edit it.

My concern is ... is this possible? Is this possible for the newbie or novice VBA user, someone with no previous Word based VBA.

Would someone be kind enough to help direct me in this endeavour?

Thank you all inadvance for your time.

Jenn