PDA

View Full Version : First experience with VBA - hoping to get tips on streamlining my macro!

heysus jamal
06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi all :hi:, been lurking on the boards for a few weeks now but finally decided to register and ask for some help. Keep in mind this is the first macro I have ever written - I put the breaks in the code with headers to help me remember what each function does. (BTW I am using Office 2007)

Basically I am trying to pull numerous tables and charts from various locations into one file. The control tab houses the information that drives the macro. It works by opening the file (based on the info from the control tab) containing the table/chart > copying it (as a picture) > and pasting it (as a picture) in the 'Tables & Charts' tab.

I have tested it numerous times and the macro works how I want it to. However there a three relatively two minor glitches that prevent it from being perfect, IMO....

1) There are several charts that I wish to bring into my file that are which happen to be what I like to call 'entire tabs.' Meaning the actual chart itself takes up the entire tab. I couldn't find a chart # like I did with other charts that did not take up entire tabs, so I solved this by literally grabbing the entire tab and copying it to the end of my file. But by doing this it loses the formatting of the dates, ie: 12/31/2011 turns into the Julian date format. Is there such a code where I can copy just a picture of the tab rather than the entire tab?

2) When I paste the table/chart into the 'tables & charts' tab I made the macro leave 40 spaces in between each image, because some images are larger than others and I don't want overlapping. Is there a code to have the pictures automatically be right below each other when pasting - so that I don't have ~50 pictures spanning ~2000 cells?

Please let me know if I am not being specific enough with what I am trying to do and if you would like me to clarify anything. Any help would be MUCH appreciated! : pray2:

My test file is attached. You can see the code below.

'THIS MACRO OPENS THE VARIOUS FILES USED IN THE BSM REPORT AND COMPILES THE DESIRED PIECES IN ONE LOCATION
Sub updateDocx()

'THIS SECTION HIDES ANY MESSAGES/ALERTS
'************************************************************************** ************
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

'VARIABLE TYPES ARE DEFINED BELOW
'************************************************************************** ************
Dim wrdApp As Word.Application
Dim wrdDoc As Word.Document
Dim j As Integer
Dim currPath As String
Dim currwb As String
Dim tableChartFlag As String

Dim FileLocation As String
Dim FileName As String
Dim tabName As String
Dim RangeName As String

Dim i As Integer

currPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path
currwb = ActiveWorkbook.Name

'THIS CLEARS THE 'TABLES & CHARTS' TAB
Sheets("Tables & Charts").Delete
Sheets.Add.Name = "Tables & Charts"
Sheets("Tables & Charts").Select

'THIS DELETES ANY EXTRA TABS
While Sheets.Count > 5
Sheets(Sheets.Count).Delete
Wend

'THIS SPECIFIES THE START ROW FOR THE MACRO
i = Sheets("Control").Cells(2, 2)

'THIS SECTION USES THE INFORMATION IN THE CONTROL TAB TO LOCATE THE DESIRED OBJECTS
While Not IsEmpty(Sheets("Control").Cells(i, 7))

FileLocation = Sheets("Control").Cells(i, 3).Value
FileName = Sheets("Control").Cells(i, 4).Value
tabName = Sheets("Control").Cells(i, 5).Value
RangeName = Sheets("Control").Cells(i, 6).Value

'THIS LOOP SKIPS ITEMS WHICH ARE NO LONGER INCLUDED IN THE REPORT VIA THE RANGE COLUMN
If RangeName = "" Then GoTo aaa

'THIS SPECIFIES IF AN OBJECT IS A TABLE VS. CHART
On Error Resume Next
tableChartFlag = WorksheetFunction.Find(":", RangeName, 1)

If Err.Number = 1004 Then
tableChartFlag = "C"
Else: tableChartFlag = "T"
End If

On Error Resume Next
Windows(FileName).Activate
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Workbooks.Open FileName:=FileLocation & "\" & FileName
If Err.Number = 1004 Then
MsgBox ("On Row " & i & " " & Err.Description)
GoTo bbb
End If
End If

'THIS SECTION COPIES THE DESIRED OBJECT - USING 'COPY AS PICTURE'
Sheets(tabName).Select

'FOR TABLE/CHART
If tableChartFlag = "T" Then
Range(RangeName).Select
ElseIf tableChartFlag = "C" Then ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(RangeName).Activate
Else: MsgBox ("Table/Chart Flag missing!!")
End If

'FOR ENTIRE TAB - THIS CREATES AN ADDITIONAL TAB AT THE END OF THE FILE
If RangeName = "ENTIRE TAB" Then
Sheets(tabName).Select
Sheets(tabName).Copy After:=Workbooks(currwb).Sheets(Workbooks(currwb).Sheets.Count)
Else
Selection.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlPicture
End If

'THIS RETURNS TO THE BSM REPORT CREATION FILE AND PASTES THE OBJECT 'AS A PICTURE'
Windows(currwb).Activate

Sheets("Tables & Charts").Select

'THIS LEAVES A GAP OF 40 CELLS BETWEEN PASTED OBJECTS
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Application.CutCopyMode = False
ActiveCell.Offset(40, 0).Select

'THIS CLOSES THE FILE FROM WHICH AN OBJECT WAS RETRIEVED
If FileName <> Sheets("Control").Cells(i + 1, 4).Value Then
Windows(FileName).Activate
ActiveWorkbook.Close
End If

'LOOPS
aaa:
i = i + 1
Wend

bbb:
End Sub

fredlo2010
06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I am not VBA expert but I looked at your code and made some comments. I think it would be good to include at least one of the files you are getting the data from so I can get a better idea of whats going on ( no expert here)

Thanks

lynnnow
06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
2) When I paste the table/chart into the 'tables & charts' tab I made the macro leave 40 spaces in between each image, because some images are larger than others and I don't want overlapping. Is there a code to have the pictures automatically be right below each other when pasting - so that I don't have ~50 pictures spanning ~2000 cells?

One option that you can use is use the top and height parameters of the pasted object. Use the top + height of the previous object, add a buffer for the next and use the result as the top of the next object. For e.g. Image1 has a top of 30 and a height of 50, add them up, add buffer of about 5 to make them look separate (total of 85 "pixels") and use 85 as the top of the next item. Since I've not seen your images in the file, I won't be able to give you a precise determination of your objects, but hope you get the general idea.

heysus jamal
06-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi,

I am not VBA expert but I looked at your code and made some comments. I think it would be good to include at least one of the files you are getting the data from so I can get a better idea of whats going on ( no expert here)

Thanks

Hi Fredlo - thanks for responding to my question. I see that you said you made some comments but I do not see any :confused:. Anyway, attached is an example of a my 1st "glitch."

fredlo2010
06-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Hi Fredlo - thanks for responding to my question. I see that you said you made some comments but I do not see any :confused:. Anyway, attached is an example of a my 1st "glitch."

I am sorry I had to mention this. My comments are inside the sub they are enclosd by >>>>>>>comment<<<<<<<<

Sorry

heysus jamal
06-28-2012, 06:41 AM
I am sorry I had to mention this. My comments are inside the sub they are enclosd by >>>>>>>comment<<<<<<<<

Sorry

No need to say sorry! However I am sorry - What do you mean by "My comments are inside the sub they are enclosed by >>>>>comment<<<<<?" If you are referring to the file you attached on your first post that is not a file I am familiar with. Maybe you attached the wrong file?

fredlo2010
06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
here I attached the wrong file