PDA

View Full Version : Change Tracking - possible without custom views?

Tommy-boy
07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I have a workbook that my firm uses for generating and reporting several financial figures for our clients. The workbook has a reporting page (sheet), which uses named ranges and offsets to pick up info from supporting sheets in the workbook. The workbook also contains some macros to clean up formatting (mainly hiding cols and rows) of the reporting page.

The process is that the professional staff does the bulk of the work in the workbook and then administrative staff open it for producing / binding our reports. Workbook is on our network.

Because the reporting page (sheet) has several hundred numbers on it, and there are usually revisions that need to be made along the way - making sure that nothing accidentally changes (that wasn't supposed to) is a challenge. To deal with this, we've been sharing the workbooks and enabling change tracking. The professional staff checks the change tracking after the administrative staff work with the workbook.

The Problem - on Excel 2007, using track changes automatically puts custom views into effect. This has caused problems in that cols/rows hidden by our prof staff (using the macro) don't come up as hidden by the admin staff. Page numbering is also sometimes off. Is there any way to track changes but not have to deal with custom views? The custom views really stink because if a prof staff made changes, but the admin staff needs to tweak for printing - they can't access the prof staff custom view.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,
Tom

snb
07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Why don't you provide the administative staff with only a copy of the professional staff's workbook ?

You can easily do that using

Workbooks.add "G:\professional.xlsx"

Or you could make an administrative workbook template, containing a databasequery to the professional staff's workbook.

Tommy-boy
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I want two workbooks with different changes in each one.

Using a template still doesn't solve the problem of having changes tracked an everybody getting the same view / formatting. I want everybody to see the same thing, but all changes to be tracked.