PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Subtotal() generates extra lines

Paul_Hossler
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
I know I could use a pivot table, but this time I need to use the SUBTOTAL () function to embed the formulas into the worksheet

Overview is I have 3 control break fields and 4 data fields, and at each change in the value of each of the control fields, I want to get a SUBTOTAL(9, ...) formula.

The Excel (2007 BTW) [Data][Subtotal] works mostly OK, as does the VBA.

However ....

SummaryBelowData:=True generates extraneous (or at least I don't want them) Grand Total lines for the 2nd and 3rd level control breaks

SummaryBelowData:=False does not generate extraneous Grand Total lines for the 2nd and 3rd level control breaks, but I'd rather that the Grand Total at the botton. It also seems to generate the total lines out of order, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, instead of highest (1st) to lowest (3rd)

1. Am I doing something wrong (always a possibility), or
2. Is there a workaround

Option Explicit

Sub SubtotalQuestion()
Dim rHeadersData As Range, rData As Range
Set rHeadersData = ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion
With rHeadersData
Set rData = .Cells(2, 1).Resize(.Rows.Count - 1, .Columns.Count)
.RemoveSubtotal
End With

With ActiveSheet.Sort
.SortFields.Clear
.SortFields.Add Key:=rData.Columns(1), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
.SortFields.Add Key:=rData.Columns(2), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
.SortFields.Add Key:=rData.Columns(3), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
.SetRange rHeadersData
.Header = xlYes
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlTopToBottom
.SortMethod = xlPinYin
.Apply
End With

With rHeadersData
'case 1 -- Summary Below
' .Subtotal GroupBy:=1, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True
' .Subtotal GroupBy:=2, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=False, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True
' .Subtotal GroupBy:=3, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=False, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True

'case 2 -- Summary above
.Subtotal GroupBy:=1, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=False
.Subtotal GroupBy:=2, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=False, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=False
.Subtotal GroupBy:=3, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=False, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=False

End With

End Sub

Paul

Paul_Hossler
07-27-2012, 02:40 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I think I was doing it to myself by not realizing that I was applying the 2nd and 3rd Subtotals to the original range, and forgetting that the range was expanded by the 1st Subtotal

Option Explicit

Sub SubtotalQuestion_1()
Dim rHeadersData As Range, rData As Range
With rHeadersData
Set rData = .Cells(2, 1).Resize(.Rows.Count - 1, .Columns.Count)
.RemoveSubtotal
End With

With ActiveSheet.Sort
.SortFields.Clear
.SortFields.Add Key:=rData.Columns(1), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
.SortFields.Add Key:=rData.Columns(2), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
.SortFields.Add Key:=rData.Columns(3), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
.SetRange rHeadersData
.Header = xlYes
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlTopToBottom
.SortMethod = xlPinYin
.Apply
End With

rHeadersData.RemoveSubtotal
rHeadersData.Subtotal GroupBy:=1, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=False, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True

rHeadersData.Subtotal GroupBy:=2, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=False, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True

rHeadersData.Subtotal GroupBy:=3, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7), Replace:=False, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True

End Sub

Paul