PDA

View Full Version : Automatically import graphs from excel to word

kbka
08-10-2012, 04:07 AM
Hi!

Just got out of college and now use Microsoft Office at work.

In college I would create graphs etc. using programs like matlab and then write reports using Latex. As some of you may know, when using Latex, you do not insert a picture into the rapport, you refer to its location on the harddrive. So when I updated the graph in matlab the new graph would automatically update in my report.

How do I go around this using Microsoft Office? I have a ton of graphs in excel that I would like to import into word.

As I will most likely change the formatting and data range etc. in excel i would like for these updated graphs to appear in word without having to copy paste everything again.

I'm familiar with using connections between different excel files. Does something similar exists?

I'm also thinking that it would be convenient to simply give each excel graph a name and call that name as an object in word.

any help is very much appreciated!

/kbka

macropod
08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Simple: Select the graph, copy it, switch to Word and use Paste Special with the 'paste link' option and the paste format you prefer. You can do likewise with ranges on the worksheets if you want the data to appear in Word. To name the chart/table in Word, use References|Insert Caption, choose an appropriate caption type and add the descriptive text.