PDA

View Full Version : putting Access XP 2003 database on the web

sherry
07-25-2005, 10:50 PM
I created a database with 26 tables of varying lengths about 18 months ago. I wrote VBA code to show forms and allow users to query the different tables using buttons which brought up the various tables and the "Find" (binoculars) symbol to help these older users find their data. Now, they would like to have the database online. Is there a way to do this via some scripting language and some examples which might be useful. I've looked at various code examples but don't know if they woud really work for what I have. Also, they want to do some sort of universal search across the 26 tables. I don't think this is do-able as the lengths of the individual tables varies. I've tried joins and links but they really don't seem to work well for this...only partial fields seems to appear. Would I have to build new tables (26 of them) and re-input the data into identical tables to make this work? Thanks for any help...

Sherry

sherry
07-25-2005, 11:00 PM
I created a database with 26 tables of varying lengths about 18 months ago. I wrote VBA code to show forms and allow users to query the different tables using buttons which brought up the various tables and the "Find" (binoculars) symbol to help these older users find their data. Now, they would like to have the database online. Is there a way to do this via some scripting language and some examples which might be useful. I've looked at various code examples but don't know if they woud really work for what I have. Also, they want to do some sort of universal search across the 26 tables. I don't think this is do-able as the lengths of the individual tables varies. I've tried joins and links but they really don't seem to work well for this...only partial fields seems to appear. Would I have to build new tables (26 of them) and re-input the data into identical tables to make this work? Thanks for any help...

Sherry

MOS MASTER
07-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi & Welcome to VBAX! :hi:

Sherry,

You've put your question in the pay-for-answer forum so I moved your question to the appropriate forum. :whistle:

xCav8r
07-26-2005, 11:17 AM
:hi:

Sherry, there are lots of ways you could approach this. If you already know VBA and HTML, then VBS (for .asp pages) is a snap. Alternatively, have you explored creating data access pages to see if those meet your needs?

And for the grand daddy search, why can't you search each table individually in VBA? :yes

sherry
07-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks so much for the thoughts and suggestions. I'll work with some of them tonight. It's great to know this site is supporting us newbies especially in our projects. Thanks again.

Sherry

xCav8r
07-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Sherry, how's it going?

sherry
07-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Better I think. I read some more in my VBA/ACCESS manuals. Decided I couldn't do a simple Find command/toolbar sort of thing to search the tables for what they want, but will have to come up with something programmatically moving the text string that the user supplies into unbound controls and take it from there to search the different tables. I haven't had time to code for one of the tables to try it out yet as work has been extremely busy. Thanks again for inquiring.

Sherry

:friends:

xCav8r
08-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Sherry, use the AllTables collection to loop through each of your tables, and use ADO or DAO to search through each of them individually for the desired value.