PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2010 Rules

Lesly
08-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following matter:

I know how to make an easy rule but the problem is for what i want to do i need to create 2880 rules :(

i want to make a rule for each Parking i have (+/-60)
each parking has a sub folder with a type (2 types)
each type has an other sub folder with year (2 years: 2012 and 2013)
each year has an other sub folder for each month (12 months in a year :bug: )

So i need (60*2*2*12)= 2880 rules

Is it possible to create one rule and export it to excel. so i can create in excel all those rules and then import them in outlook (or another easy way)

Why i wanne do that? Because i think i can create them in excel a lot faster then in outlook. Because there aren't big differences in the rules and it will be copy & pasting en adapting small things

Lets say the rule is like this:

if the subject contains "Woluwe_Kluis_2012_Januari" then put it in that folder

next rule would be "Woluwe_Kluis_2012_Februari"

then i have the same rule as "Woluwe_Kluis_2012_Januari" but it start with an other name then "Woluwe"

I try to explane the best i can :) not easy

Any help would be great

Kind regards

Les

BrianMH
08-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Does this need to run on the outlook server or can it be a client only rule?

To clarify is the folder structure Woluwe/Kluis/2012/Februari and are all the folders already created?

BrianMH
08-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Attached is a simple rule creator. Column A has a rule name. Column B has the subject text that you wish to test and column C has the folder you want the rule to move the mail to. You can get the folder path by right clicking the folder in outlook and clicking properties (make sure to add the folder name).

For what you are describing this should work. Keep in mind the folders are assumed to already be there. It doesn't check if there is a rule with that name already. It is simple but it should do what you want.

Lesly
08-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Hallo Brian thx for your answer!

the folders already excist
but "Does this need to run on the outlook server or can it be a client only rule?" what do you mean?
Because for me it doesn't matter how, just that it works.

The thing is i scan something with a subject to my mailbox and i want it to directly move it out of my mail to an mail-archive or to another hard drive.

I wil surely try your attachement.

In the mean while i created them already manualy but apparently my outlook can't accept that many active rules :s

so if you have a solution for that it would be nice too :)

BrianMH
08-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Do you always have your outlook open when you are sending yourself these scans? Rules are either client only (meaning you have to have outlook open) or they can run on the server. You can do more things with rules that are client only.

Are you at all familiar with VBA? There are VBA solutions but anything we set up you would then need to edit for your needs.

Lesly
08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I need to have my outlook open, well i work with vba in excell.

Basic stuff

JP2112
08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
VBA sounds like the way to go, you could then have just one rule that passes incoming messages to a VBA procedure that parses the messages. Or you could go completely VBA and not have any rules at all.

It looks like you might be able to derive the target folder name from the subject? If so, the VBA code might actually be relatively short.