PDA

View Full Version : VBA Front End

leo.clifton
08-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I've designed quite a complex VBA GUI which I use to interact with an access database. The GUI accesses the information in the database through recordsets, pulling the data into a set of user defined types, displaying and altering elements and then updating or adding records to the various tables that make up the database. Its basically a personnel database for volunteers working at my hospital which helps to manage their recruitment & training and communicating with them through outlook and word.

I now wish to separate the access database from the VBA GUI so that VBA acts as a front end for multiple users without them ever needing to access the data tables themselves (in fact I don't want the other staff to edit the records/tables at all). The database would be stored on a shared drive. I'm not sure how to achieve this and would appreciate some advice as to how to as well as what setting up a multi-user system might mean. Any advice would be great (please bear in mind I'm new to Access).

BrianMH
08-28-2012, 07:45 AM
When you say "without them ever needing to access the data tables themselves (in fact I don't want the other staff to edit the records/tables at all). " do you mean manually? The data has to edited and read by everyone right?

The simple answer is export all the data tables to a database in a shared location then delete those tables from your front end and add the tables again as a link.

Obviously backup before doing anything.