PDA

View Full Version : Retrieve Values through an RS232 Connection

Rlb53
09-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Hello All,

Could you assist me in retrieving Values from a Meter through an RS232 Connection and place the values into a specified cell.

Thanks !

Kenneth Hobs
09-20-2012, 07:10 AM
That is not something common to this forum. A search of the web shows several options such as: http://www.aggsoft.com/asdl-rs232-to-excel.htm

You must be using old equipment. Newer PC's don't even have RS232 ports anymore. USB is the more common standard. You should explore USB data loggers if possible.

Rlb53
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Thank you Kenneth,

Fortunately it's not my computer that is outdated... its the measuring equipment I'm attempting to capture the values from. I've actually got to get an RS232 / USB Adapter Cable to make this work on my laptop.

I looked at the software in your reply as well as numerous others. I'll continue the research to see which may best fit my need.

My initial inquiry was to find out if there was known vba code to identify and activate a port. Then subsequentially capture the scale weights being conveyed in ascii at the users command.

Thank you again for your response !

HDowns
11-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I have used Advanced Serial Data Logger mentioned above in the past on Windows and it meets all my needs. It can work with RS232-USB converters, because they create a virtual COM port on a computer.