PDA

View Full Version : Search Functionality that moves cursor

goobers
10-10-2012, 07:32 PM
I have a fairly simple excel workbook with a list of names. I am trying to accomplish the following, and was hoping some of you would be able to provide a Non-VBA solution (if it's even possible).

1) In Cell C1 I want to input a letter or a name.
2) By pressing enter or by clicking on a button, the cursor will move itself to the cell in Column F where the first instance of the first letter of what I typed in C1 appears.

So, for example I entered a search for "Mary" which obviously starts with the letter "M." After pressing enter or a button, my cursor would move to cell F18 since "Miguel" is the only name in that column that begins with the letter "M"

Another example is if i searched for "Charlie" In this case, i would hope that my cursor actually moves to cell F4 where "Christoper" appears first.

As always I appreciate everyone's insight into my really oddball excel/vba questions.

Thanks!

Goobers

Simon Lloyd
10-11-2012, 04:31 AM
It's not possible without VBA, you'll have to have two FINDs one where it searches for the entire string and if not found find the first instance where the cell contents match the first letter.

For an example where you use a userform for something like your are trying to do go here http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/gsearch.php and enter "databaseform.xls" and choose the very first match (after the obligatory google ad suggestions for your search).