PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlinks to Internal Booksmarks Corrupted

MWE
10-29-2012, 09:46 PM
I am running Word2003. I have a document with approx 50 bookmarks and many hyperlinks in the document to these bookmarks. I saved the file with a new name and discovered that all the bookmarks in the new file were to the locations in the original document. I have never encountered this before. Any thoughts on what might have happened? And how I might fix this?

Thanks

macropod
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Presumably, your hyperlinks were created with file links. At a more fundamental level, though, why are you using hyperlinks within a document? Word's cross-references provide the same functionality.

MWE
10-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Presumably, your hyperlinks were created with file links. At a more fundamental level, though, why are you using hyperlinks within a document? Word's cross-references provide the same functionality.Please clarify "with file links". The hyperlinks were created to bookmarks within the document. I have been doing this for many years with excellent success. In my experience, Word's cross-refs do not provide the same functionality and are more awkward to manage:
they are not "obvious" links to other sections in the document. Most people know what a hyperlink looks like
they are not active when you create a pdf file (with active hyperlinks)
they do not work consistently across different versions of word
they are more difficult to modify and delete
they often add unwanted formatting (like many of Word's special functions)

macropod
10-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Please clarify "with file links".
As in with filepaths in the links. The other possibility is that you've set Word's hyperlink base to point to the original folder.

In my experience, Word's cross-refs do not provide the same functionality and are more awkward to manage:

they are not "obvious" links to other sections in the document. Most people know what a hyperlink looks like
Easily rectified with the Charformat switch which retains the original colour when clicked on, too!

they are not active when you create a pdf file (with active hyperlinks)True, but neither are hyperlinks on PDF printouts ...

they do not work consistently across different versions of wordYou're just plain wrong on that one. I've used every Word version since Office 4 (and some previous versions too) and every one of them has been consistent in this regard.

they are more difficult to modify and deleteIMHO cross-references they are easier to manage in this respect - simply change the source and update the display to reflect the change. A hyperlink will not update its displayed content to reflect changes in the source - you have to edit both the source and the hyperlink.

they often add unwanted formatting (like many of Word's special functions)Only if the user does something silly like trying to hard-format the cross-reference instead of using the charformat switch.