PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Lotus Notes view to excel sheet

Sylvaninoff
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi,

I'd like to know if there is any way to ask excel to get data from a view in a Lotus Notes database.

I'd like to have 2 dropdown lists, one for the database, another for a view, clic OK and TADAAAAA! the data is in here in a sheet...

:bug: sounds like crazy huh? I'm sure VB can handle this... : pray2:

splashscreen
08-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah I have 'researched' this question also.

It can be done with database connectivity feature of excel (ie Import external data / database query etc etc).

The problem is that Lotus Notes doesnt have a native db-interface that excel can use (as far as I can tell).

However, the solution seems to be to use NotesSQL (http://www.lotus.com/products/product4.nsf/wdocs/3243f3d81944584085256e20006db691?OpenDocument) which is a driver that exposes an ODBC interface to third party data consumers. Through this interface you should be able to connect from excel to notesdb.

I (sadly) havent had the chance to try this solution myself.

Please report back if you used this or other solution. I'd like to know how this would be solved =)

peacenik
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
I have tried this in the past with mixed success. As Splashscreen says, you need to download NotesSQL, which simulates ODBC. However, it only works with views. So you need to have a view already set up in Notes that has all the data you require for your extract in a flat structure.

I had it working, but then had to rebuild my computer and since have been unsuccessful in getting it running again. Perhaps I will try again now.

XL-Dennis
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi,

What about using SQL to query the database by using ADO?

Here is a simple example to retrieve e-mailaddresses from a Notes-database:
http://www.excelkb.com/article.aspx?id=10084&cNode=1X5M7A

I have only been working with stored procedures with SQL Server / Oracle / DB2 and MySQL so I'm not sure how to use stored procedures with a Notes-database.

Kind regards,
Dennis