PDA

View Full Version : two-variable data tables

BigDan
11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm doing an assignment. I've tried googling but I think my answer is wrong based on what I read.

I'm attaching a workbook here. In col E-I there's a Two-Variable Data Table. I'm guessing this is just supposed to be one variable multiplied by the other. Eg F18=F17*E18. Is this correct?

If so, how do I do this? I chose B9 as the row reference and B4 as the col reference, because those seemed to be the relevant data points.

Here's the actual question:

Create a two-variable data table in the range E17:I28, using the Ticket Price per Person as the Row input cell and the No. of Attendees as the Column input cell.

Help!

for the one-variable data table I'd be grateful if you could see if I did that correctly. In that I didnt get why we use B4 as a reference. It seems completely unrelated except for that being the first mention of the number of attendees. But in the table itself it doesnt seem to have a place.

Bob Phillips
11-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Is that really your workbook? If so, you need t give us a lot more detail on what it is doing. The workbook makes no sense without that detail, your question makes no sense, and there is no function/UDF called TABLE, so what is going on.

p45cal
11-12-2012, 03:56 AM
xld, I've just spent a while looking at this (because I too didn't understand how the TABLE function was working) and while there is no function TABLE, I discovered it was reached by Data, What-If Analysis, Data Table, and that function is then inserted for you. It seems quite powerful.
BigDan, the B4 is to tell Excel what cell to (virtually) change by substituting the value in it for the values in the left column of the table

Aflatoon
11-12-2012, 04:18 AM
In col E-I there's a Two-Variable Data Table. I'm guessing this is just supposed to be one variable multiplied by the other. Eg F18=F17*E18. Is this correct?

No - the values in the left hand column are (virtually, as p45cal said) substituted into B4 and the values in the top row are substituted into B9 and the output is what C34 would reflect for those values. Note that E17 is a link to C34.

Your 1 value data table is also correct.