PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way of moving an entire menu and its contents from one template to another

johndavidson
11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Is there a way of moving an entire menu and its contents from one template to another in Word 2003? It would be good if associated hotkeys were moved at the same time!

gmaxey
11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Use Tools>Templates and AddIns>Organizer>Toolbars.

johndavidson
11-15-2012, 09:37 PM
But that only shows the toolbars in a template, not the menus. I'm working in Word 2003, btw. I've got a lot of stuff in Normal.dot, accumulated over a period of time, which makes it difficult to give it to others without messing up their Normal.dot. I'd like to be able to move macros, toolbars, hotkeys and menus in an easy manner. The first three are easy enough (using ShortCutOrganizer for the hotkeys), but can't see how to do the menus.

I expect I'm missing something.

gmaxey
11-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Create a toolbar and drag the menus to it. Then transfer the toolbar to the other file and drag the menus off the toolbar back to the menu bar.

johndavidson
11-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Thanks -- that's a neat idea!

:hi:

fumei
11-16-2012, 04:41 PM
BTW, it is for this reason that Microsoft recommends you do NOT put macros, menus etc. in Normal. Put them in their own template. That way, they can be distributed without messing up other Normals. These are global templates (add-ins). they can be sutomatically loaded (via Startup), or loaded (and unloaded) dynamically via Add-ins.

johndavidson
11-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Indeed! Good to be wise after the event. :cool:

fumei
11-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Even better to be wise dealing with future events.

johndavidson
11-16-2012, 07:47 PM
:bow:

johndavidson
11-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Everything is now transferred to another template and working, tho' I had to recreate the shortcuts/hotkeys. However, the menu headings and their items, although they transferred OK to the new template's menu bar, only show up there when the template document is open. The toolbar with the menu items on it works fine and is globally accessible, but not the menus. How do I get them to show on the main menu bar, alongside the normal menu items, without reinstating them in Normal.dot? BTW, the new template is in .../Word/StartUp.

Also, using Chris Woodman's's ShortCut Organizer I can't see that it is possible to copy a module of macros from one template to another and then copy the relevant shortcuts to some of those macros as well. The shortcuts do get copied but they still relate to the previous location of the macros.

Thanks.

John