PDA

View Full Version : How to click programmatically on a shape

stranno
12-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to click (not to select) programmatically on a shape in order to start a procedure (sub)?

The code below selects the grey shape, but i need code that "click's" on it (an artificial click fired by code).

Insert my test code below in a module and run Draw_Shapes. After clicking the red shape i want the message "My color is grey" to appear, via the grey shape.

Sub Draw_Shapes()
Dim sh As Shape
For Each sh In ActiveSheet.Shapes
sh.Delete
Next
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape(1, Left:=ThisWorkbook.Application.Range("A1").Left + 10, Top:=ThisWorkbook.Application.Range("A1").Top + 2, Width:=50, Height:=50).Select
Selection.Name = "GreyShape"
Selection.OnAction = " My_Color_Is_Grey"
With Selection.ShapeRange.Line
.Visible = msoTrue
.Weight = 1
End With
With Selection.ShapeRange.Fill
.Visible = msoTrue
.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(150, 150, 150)
.Transparency = 0
.Solid
End With
ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape(1, Left:=ThisWorkbook.Application.Range("E1").Left + 10, Top:=ThisWorkbook.Application.Range("E1").Top + 2, Width:=100, Height:=50).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame.Characters.Text = "Click programmatically on left left"
Selection.OnAction = "Activate_MyColorIsGrey"
With Selection.ShapeRange.Line
.Visible = msoTrue
.Weight = 1
End With
With Selection.ShapeRange.Fill
.Visible = msoTrue
.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 0, 0)
.Transparency = 0
.Solid
End With
End Sub

Sub My_Color_Is_Grey()
MsgBox "My color is Grey"
End Sub

Sub Activate_MyColorIsGrey()
ActiveSheet.Shapes("GreyShape").Select
End Sub
Greatings,
Stranno

GTO
12-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Greetings,

Unless I am mis-reading (it happens:dunno ), why not simply have the code call 'Activate_MyColorIsGrey'?

Mark

Teeroy
12-06-2012, 01:53 AM
How about (untested):
set tmp = ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape(1, Left:=ThisWorkbook.Application.Range("E1").Left + 10, Top:=ThisWorkbook.Application.Range("E1").Top + 2, Width:=100, Height:=50)
with tmp
.name = "GreyShape"
.OnAction = "Book1!My_Color_Is_Grey" 'Book1 being workbook name
end with

Aflatoon
12-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Perhaps
Application.Run ActiveSheet.Shapes("GreyShape").OnAction
End Sub

stranno
12-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Hi there,

Thanx for your commants.

Meanwhile I solved my problem with a workaround, but the initial problem is not solved yet.

I was looking for something like:
ActiveSheet.Shapes (Application.Caller) in general and adapted to my case someting like: ActiveSheet.Shapes (ActiveSheet.Shapes("GreyShape")(Application.Caller)). But That doesn 't work.

Thanx again

greetings, stranno

stranno
12-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Yes Alfatoon! That's the solution.
Thanx a lot!

greetings, stranno

GTO
12-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Perhaps
Application.Run ActiveSheet.Shapes("GreyShape").OnAction
End Sub

No obstinence intended, and I would not have thought of that "in a million years."

Mostly just cat-killin' curiousity I suppose: I remain not understanding why we cannot just call the procedure that is called by the button?

Mark

stranno
12-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Hi mark, I like your curiosity. In fact I am just like you. I try to explain. In my real program there is no extra button. I needed this button just to to show what i wanted to achieve, namely to fire the macro which is linked to a shape (of which the name is known) while nobody is clicking on it.

Kind regards,
Stranno

GTO
12-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Thank you Stranno :-)

snb
12-07-2012, 02:32 AM
nonetheless: it seems very unlikely you do not know which macro has been 'attached' to that shape (e.g. 'M_stranno_001')

so you can 'call' that macro simply using it's name

sub M_snb()
M_stranno_001
end sub

stranno
12-07-2012, 04:20 AM
hi snb,

Hi snb,

A user clicks on a shape. Based on a specific set of properties (color, relative position with respect to other shapes, width etc) a macro is being fired. Calculations are being made, and based on the outcome, the size of the shape changes. After that the user can select additional criteria (this is optional) and again
calculation are being made. But in order to start the right macro (there are a few of them), the user had to click on the same shape again. And this i found not very elegant. I wanted to automate this by using the name of the shape which was stored somewhere. Aflatoon 's proposal was the solution in my case. Ofcourse there are more roads leading to Rome (Dutch saying). But this worked for me.

snb
12-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Maar evenmin elegant...:)