PDA

View Full Version : Sorting outgoing e-mail automatically? (having issues)

jsabo
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Not sure if this requires VBA script, so i apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I have gotten this to work with a couple of issues... I go to create a new rule, start from a blank rule, then "apply rule on messages I send". I then choose to send a copy to the folder based on words in the address.

How can i make it so i am not just moving a copy, but the original sent e-mail? I only want one copy of sent e-mail and thats the one i move to the folder. As of now, i have one in my sent folder and one copy in the folder i moved it to. Also, i want the e-mail to be unread while currently it shows as unread. Any ideas? Would VBA do what i need? Please help. Thanks.

EDIT: I guess i am really just trying to automatically file the email that would otherwise wind up going straight into my sent folder.

BrianMH
01-16-2013, 02:23 AM
When creating a new rule click "move messages sent to a distribution list to a folder" and click next.
untick "sent to people or distribution list" and tick "with specific words in the recipient's address" and then specify the words and folder.

Don't really know why you have to do it this way but it works. It is also a client only rule.

jsabo
01-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Brian,

"move messages sent to a distribution list to a folder" is not one of my choices in the list of templates. is there a way to add it? Thanks.

BrianMH
01-16-2013, 07:10 AM
What version of outlook are you using? I would imagine you could use any template that is run after send and do the same.

jsabo
01-16-2013, 07:15 AM
I have the following options:

"Stay Organized:
move messages from someone to a folder
move messages with specific words in the subject to a folder
move messages sent to a public group to a folder
flag messages from someone for follow-up
move microsoft infopath forms of a specific type to a folder
move RSS items from a specific feed to a folder"

"Stay up to date
Display mail from someone in the New Item Alert Window
Play a sound when I get messages from someone
Send an alert to my mobile device when I get messages from someone"

"Start from a blank rule
Apply rule on messages I receive
Apply rule on messages I send"

Those are my choices. I am using Outlook 2010. I have tried picking apply rule on messages i send, but the only action that remotely works is "move a copy to specified folder". I dont want this, as it keeps the original in my sent folder and the one that is moved is unread.

BrianMH
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
try editing the one about sent top public group.