PDA

View Full Version : Macros Assigned to AutoShapes

Cyberdude
08-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I have a lot of AutoShapes (buttons) to which I have assigned macros. I decided to move the most common macros to Personal.xls in order to reduce the clutter in the individual workbooks. Much to my surprise, the AutoShapes that had the "common" macros assigned to them still work just fine. When I checked to see what was assigned to them, they still show that they are assigned to macros in the original workbook. This isn't causing a problem, but it seems strange that the AutoShape shows that it is supposed to execute a macro in the parent workbook, but actually executes the one that now resides in Personal.xls. Why doesn't it now give me an error that says it can't find the macro? :dunno (Weird...very weird)

NashProjects
12-23-2011, 01:45 AM
At first I would have done the same, however the issue with the personal.xls workbook is anytime your profile is wiped and reinstalled you will lose your information.

Perhaps create an add in instead or failing that, leave the code in the individual files.... the code itself doesnt make the file that large!

In all the companies I have created departmental macro code books I have put these all in add ins which open when excel does... it's so much easier to manage!

Bob Phillips
12-23-2011, 03:36 AM
however the issue with the personal.xls workbook is anytime your profile is wiped and reinstalled you will lose your information.

Don't you take copies for such situatons?

NashProjects
12-23-2011, 04:40 AM
I used to back up the Personal.xls workbook yes, but when rolling out and updating bulk code on a daily basis was a nightmare...

A central file add in is a much easier solution personally for me... the Personal.xls file I've always found to be a short term basic solution.