PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VBA hiding and locking rows?

Bob Parks
07-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Hello, a former employee did an excellent job on an Excel spreadsheet.
For appearance purposes he hid rows 38 to 41. The Format, Rows, Unhide with row 37 and 42 highlighted does not reveal them.

Could he have invoked a "super" hide command in VBA. If so how would I find it and remove it?

Thanks

Scottie P
07-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi Bob - Welcome to VBAX!

One possibility that does exist is that the rows were resized and not hidden at all. Can you go to the dark dividing line beath row 37 (on the header itself, where the row numbers are) and try dragging it down?

Let me know what you turn up! :)

Scott

Anne Troy
07-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Or, instead of that, you can Ctrl+A and set row height to the default 12.75.

If there's VBA in the file, you should be asked to enable macros IF you have your Macro security set to Medium under Tools-Macro-Security. If you don't get the enable macros message, there's no code in the file.

Bob Parks
07-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks to Scott and Dreamboat for taking on my question. Another forum suggested a test and I FAILED. Excel WILL hide a row on a otherwise blank worksheet, also a column, but it WILL NOT unhide them. The worksheet I was trying to understand was not the problem. Rather it is Excel itself. As a test I removed all add ins and the result is the same. I did Detect and Repair but no change. Your thoughts will be welcome.

Anne Troy
07-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Bob: Care to upload the file?
You may need to hit GO ADVANCED below the reply box...

Bob Parks
07-08-2004, 09:24 PM
The otherwise blank Excel worksheet with a hidden row and column entitled Dreamboat is attached.

Anne Troy
07-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Okay. I thought it was a row. It's a column.
Hit Ctrl+G.
Type E1 and hit Enter.
This takes you to cell E1.
Now, from the menu, hit Format-Column, Width, and then type 10 or so in there.
Hit Enter.

Bob Parks
07-08-2004, 09:32 PM
GENIUS, sheer Genius.

I will so seldom Hide either columns or rows the fact Excel doesn't automatically Unhide won't be an issue.

Thank you very much.

Anne Troy
07-08-2004, 09:34 PM
You're quite welcome. :)