PDA

View Full Version : Import text file format to excel difficulty

lanhao
02-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi there, it's been a while since I've been on here, and I come back with a question/problem.

I am currently trying to set up a text parser for a text file import to excel that is pulled from an old DOS style window screen capture. The issue is that there are a variable amount of these records on any given day, and need to set up some way of importing it.

I was looking at some other coding on this, but then ran into another issue with some of the lines. There are different pieces of data on some rows.

I guess what I'm asking for here is some guidance/help in how to get some coding set up for this format honestly.

I can't put up any specific data (it's proprietary) on this but will just use the example below as a means to try to highlight the situation.

Row 1 - Field A: <info>
Row 2 - Field B: <info> Field C: <invfo> Field D: <info>
Row 3 - Field E: <info>

There are a lot of blank spaces between each record, and they always start with the same character string.

Basically I was hoping for a base direction to go running in with this since each row would be a record, and each field would be entered into different columns.

Thank you in advance for reading this, and any potential suggestions you might have. :hi:

patel
02-06-2013, 02:36 AM
attach a sample text file and the desired result xls

lanhao
02-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi Patel,

I put together a sample text file for it, but as stated, I cannot give the exact field names in this situation (it's proprietary). But I have attached an excel spreadsheet for the way it needs to be laid out. The fields listed in the original post are the general layout for the text file. It was only allowing me to upload one file.

Thanks for the response on this. :)