PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Global Templates

SailFL
08-07-2005, 11:26 AM
I found directions for creatiing Global Templates but I had trouble following them. Could you please send me a location of directions on creating these. I want to be able to do this.

Thanks

MWE
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
I found directions for creatiing Global Templates but I had trouble following them. Could you please send me a location of directions on creating these. I want to be able to do this.

Thanks
Can you state what/where you have already looked so others do not duplicate what you have already explored?

Ken Puls
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi SailFL,

Is this really an Excel question, or are you referring to Word's Global Templates? :dunno

SailFL
08-09-2005, 11:22 PM
I apologize. I thought that I had read about Global Templates on another Excel site but in looking again, I see it was a Word site.

So let me start over again....... thanks for you for being patient!

Where do you store VBA code that you want available or that can be used by other Excel workbooks? Thus in a sense a Global Template!
Thanks

Ken Puls
08-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi there,

Depends really... you have a couple of options:
-The Personal.xls workbook. This is a hidden workbook that starts up every time you open excel. It's created when you record your first macro. Drawback is that it is only available for you. If someone else logs on to your PC with a different ID, they can't get to it.

-Addins. You can create addins to distribute your code to other parties. The code can be stored in them and is available as long as the addin is open. They're a bit more complicated to set up if you've never done it before, but can be worth it.

Pretty much depends on what you need.

HTH,

Zack Barresse
08-10-2005, 08:53 AM
A coupe of Articles pertaining to Personal.xls ...

How to Use Personal.xls to Share Macros (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=18)
What is Personal.xls, and Why do I want one? (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=8)

Ken Puls
08-10-2005, 08:55 AM
:doh:

Forgot about those! Nice catch, Zack! I guess we need someone to write an article on "What is an addin & why do I want one?" :rotlaugh:

Zack Barresse
08-10-2005, 08:59 AM
That is my next one. If I can ever get this first one done!! (Revising, and almost ready to resubmit. :) )