PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Need Scheduler General Solution

pwdiaz
08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

In my lab I have several different types of instruments that are available to a number of users for various purposes. I would like to create a scheduler or calander for each instrument so that users could reserve them to conduct their experiments. What is the best approach? 3D workbooks, arrays etc.? If you know of anyone that has handled a similar problem please point me to their webpage.

Thanks!!

Paul:help

SailFL
08-08-2005, 11:57 PM
You could set up a simple Excel spreadsheet using a tab for each day. Place the instruments at the top row and first column would contain blocks of time. But this requires that each the people using the schedule be honest. Meaning that they would not remove another person's name once they signed up. You also just need to give each person access to the spreadsheet.

MWE
08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi All,

In my lab I have several different types of instruments that are available to a number of users for various purposes. I would like to create a scheduler or calander for each instrument so that users could reserve them to conduct their experiments. What is the best approach? 3D workbooks, arrays etc.? If you know of anyone that has handled a similar problem please point me to their webpage.

Thanks!!

Paul:help
There are several approaches that would work. As indicated by SailFL, an Excel spreadsheet could be set up with individual tabs, ... this approach also has the advantage that other tabs could be used to keep track of other things useful to your lab. The "other" tabs could, if necessary, be protected so that only "you" can change the contents. In a simple implementation, Excel has the disadvantage of needing everyone to be honest, but it that turns out to be a problem, there are ways to make the entries more secure, track who did what, etc. I would assume honesty and see what happens. Another issue may be mutual access, i.e., what happens when two people are trying to update the spreadsheet at the same time. Normally, the opsys will just let one person have write access at a time and tell others that "userX" has the file open for write. That may or may not be a problem.

Another approach would be to use Outlook with, say, a different calendar for each instrument. This is a pretty common approach for conference rooms, AV equipment, etc. It has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

Depending on the # of instruments, the # of people, instrument locations, people locations, etc., a very simple approach is a 3 ring binder next to each instrument with standard calendar pages. This requires that people walk to the lab to sign up, but it is simple.