PDA

View Full Version : Changing Site Host

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-08-2005, 05:35 PM
We will be changing the host for VBAX this month. Right now I don't have a definitive date since that will depend on my coder's availability, but it will be on a weekend this month for sure.

Changing sites is necessary to address some issues that I have with our current host, and overall it should allow for more functionality for the site.

The site may go down as soon as this Friday night.

After the site is transferred it may take a few days for the internet name servers to update. So trying to go to www.vbaexpress.com (http://www.vbaexpress.com/) will not bring you to the new site. You will be able to access the new site at any time (it is active right now, though there is no data yet) by using the ip address http://72.41.50.142 (http://72.41.50.142/).

If you try to get to the the site and the forums are down, chances are that the site was transferred, so try the ip url address.

If you have an @vbaexpress email account I would suggest that you stop using it for the time being and download all your emails. Once the site is transfered, those email accounts will no longer work. I will be setting up new email accounts for our staff members asap, but there still may be some down time.

I will also be sending a PM to everyone to ensure that as many members as possible are made aware of this.

I will update this thread with more information as it becomes available. If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks

Ken Puls
08-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Jake. Keep us updated! :)

MOS MASTER
08-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Hope you have a smooth ride changing servers Jake!

Thanx for the info! :whistle:

Anne Troy
08-09-2005, 11:10 AM
If I can, I'll help set up those emails. Just lemme know when.

MOS MASTER
08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
If I can, I'll help set up those emails. Just lemme know when.

Ann to the rescue! :cloud9:

No really if you are write me up for one of those new mail addresses cause I haven't got a VBAX address yet!

Thanx. :thumb

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Sure, What do you want the user name to be?

MOS MASTER
08-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Sure, What do you want the user name to be?

Hi Jake, :yes

Thanx I'll pm yah! :whistle:

Ken Puls
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Jake,

Any word here? Going to be this weekend? :dunno

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't think so.

Paleo
08-15-2005, 08:42 PM
I am running around as never before but if there is something you think I may help you with, just let me know!

:thumb

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-19-2005, 10:19 AM
The site will be taken offline tomorrow around 10AM PST (GMT-7).

Thanks

Ken Puls
08-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jake! We will be able to access it at the new IP an hour or two afterwards?

MOS MASTER
08-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks

Any Idea what that is in my local time? (Marco if you're here..jump in) :yes

Ken Puls
08-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Any Idea what that is in my local time? (Marco if you're here..jump in) :yes

.. cause God knows... Joost is going to have to find something else to do! :p

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Looks like you are 9 hours ahead of me so about 7PM.

The IP address for the site should be working as soon as we get the data base transfered. So about an hour or so.

MOS MASTER
08-19-2005, 02:29 PM
.. cause God knows... Joost is going to have to find something else to do! :p

I'll just have to spike yah so much harder afterwards..haven't I? :devil:

MOS MASTER
08-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Looks like you are 9 hours ahead of me so about 7PM.

The IP address for the site should be working as soon as we get the data base transfered. So about an hour or so.

Thanx Jake I was wondering already how far you'd be from Marco cause he's 7 hours earlier then me.

I'll remember it now. :yes

xCav8r
08-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Thanks

Time Zone cop to the rescue! That's PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) which is GMT-7. PST (Pacific Standard Time) is GMT-8. Holland is CST (Central European Summer Time) which is GMT + 2.

Your calculation was right, of course. I'll just use any excuse...

:devil:

MOS MASTER
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanx Marco..and yes I know..you love to jump in those questions..hence the call for you! :rofl:

But to be honest the straight forward answer of Jake was easy to follow but your explanation makes me dazzle! :eek: (Time is a difficult subject to me.....)

xCav8r
08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Lesson #1

We use PDT vs. PST just like you use CST vs. CET. Only for us, D = Daylight Savings Time and S = Standard. For you, S = Summer and E = European.

:cleverman

MOS MASTER
08-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Ok Marco...I'm gonna get this one of these days even if it kills me! :yes ...(Now it's bed TIME)

Dr Who
08-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanx Marco..and yes I know..you love to jump in those questions..hence the call for you! :rofl:

But to be honest the straight forward answer of Jake was easy to follow but your explanation makes me dazzle! :eek: (Time is a difficult subject to me.....)Ordinary mortals are not time lords so time is indeed a difficult subject for most to comprehend, but these two chaps you call Jake and Marco have done a reasonably tolerable job of explaining this for you :whistle:

mdmackillop
08-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Good luck with the change over :thumb. Hope to meet you all again on the "other side" :cloud9:

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Well it looks like everything has transferred over.

If anything is not working properly let me know.

Thanks

MWE
08-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Well it looks like everything has transferred over.

If anything is not working properly let me know.

Thanks
DRJ: I do hope that there is some fine tuning/tweaking yet to be done. There are only two regular users, a half dozen guests (plus some other junk) on-line, yet performance is pretty bad (noticeably slower than before).

mdmackillop
08-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Well done Jake.:clap: :clap: :clap:

xCav8r
08-21-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure that I can tell a difference in performance, MWE.

Jacob Hilderbrand
08-21-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't see any performace issues (on 56k even). Our server loads are much lower than before (.31, .18, .10) currently when they were over 5.0 consistantly before.

Most likely the name servers have not completely updated for you. So it takes longer to fetch the files. I would expect this to fix itself in a day or two.

xCav8r
08-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Jake, I don't think with 56k that you could see a difference. :wink:

And are you making stuff up about DNS as you're going along? :evillol:

Cyberdude
08-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Jake, you do good work, M'boy. Things seem to be working normally via my DSL in Northern California. What are you going to do with all the money they paid you to make the conversion? LOL :rotlaugh:My clock (for what it's worth) says 2:03 PM here (Pacific Daylight Savings Time). Now if you could just fix it so I didn't have to login each time . . .

Later: I've noticed that at times I am getting a significant response delay, for what it's worth.

MWE
08-21-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure that I can tell a difference in performance, MWE.
well, I certainly can.

I am running broadband (approx 500KB) and estimate that responses from the site take 2x to 3x longer than before. A few months ago, responses were just about instantaneous. Before the changeover, they took 2 - 4 seconds. Now, they are 10 seconds. I have encountered at least a dozen timeouts and a half dozen "refusals" in the 30 minutes or so I have poked around today.

Perhaps there is some (coincidental) slowdown with my ISP, but I perceive no slowdown at other sites:dunno

Update: I just tried logging into the forum on two different computers running WinXP (SP1 on one and SP2 on the other) and using a variety of browsers (IE, FireFox and Netscape). Nothing is working properly. I get 5 refusals for each connection and endless waits. Connection and interaction with any other site tried is instantaneous.

Update (20:41 hrs): MUCH improved.

Scottie P
08-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Most likely the name servers have not completely updated for you. So it takes longer to fetch the files. I would expect this to fix itself in a day or two.

I would have to agree with Jake on this.
Earlier today I was having great speed, but right now things are a bit slow. Since most ISPs post a 36 - 72 hour lag time in DNS update, I would say it is safe [ and correct ] to assume that some are much faster at updating than others.

I know for a fact that Comcast (depending on region) is not very quick to update; having gotten this information straight from one of the engineers in our region I thought it was worth mentioning.

I would expect that things will still need a day or so to level out, but we should all be back to enjoying the speeds that we are used to - perhaps even better - pretty soon. :thumb

Scott

MWE
08-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I would have to agree with Jake on this.
Earlier today I was having great speed, but right now things are a bit slow. Since most ISPs post a 36 - 72 hour lag time in DNS update, I would say it is safe [ and correct ] to assume that some are much faster at updating than others.

I know for a fact that Comcast (depending on region) is not very quick to update; having gotten this information straight from one of the engineers in our region I thought it was worth mentioning.

I would expect that things will still need a day or so to level out, but we should all be back to enjoying the speeds that we are used to - perhaps even better - pretty soon. :thumb

Scott
this is most likely the problem I have experienced since approx noon today. Things seemed to get worse as the day progressed. By 4PM, I could not connect at all.

But things are MUCH BETTER now.http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/023.gif

Scottie P
08-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Cool! Glad to hear it. I suppose one more day of roller-coaster and we should be golden!

S

shades
08-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Well done, Jake. You even had time to fix an issue that an old codger should have taken care of. ;)

And I am on 56K at home, all the time. No problems noted - except I didn't get any smarter with Excel when switching and upgrading. When does that come? :)

Cyberdude
08-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Once again yesterday for about a third of the day I could not send private messages or send replies or create new threads because the input editor was locked. This is the second time this week that's happened. I don't know whether it's connected with the changeover or not, but I kinda think it isn't. Is this a known problem?? The symptoms are that I can fill in a title or private message address OK, but when I get to the message area, it stays colored brown (for me) instead of changing to green. It just won't accept any input.

Ken Puls
08-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi Sid,

Try refreshing the page before you start. It happens every now and then, but usually a quick refresh does it. I find it happens most often when I go back to a page...

Zack Barresse
08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Also try clearing your cookies. That's cured it for me before.

Scottie P
08-22-2005, 10:49 AM
I have had the same thing CDude. It turned out to be temp files - actually files in the cookies folder holding onto certain parts of the site (mostly script files, etc). I got rid of those - without deleting the cookies - and everything was great.
That happens from time to time and in my case is related to IE settings

X

TonyJollans
08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I haven't kept notes but I feel like it happens every now and again after I refresh a page and refreshing again (or going advanced if I'm in quick reply) normally clears it for me. I had assumed it was a Firefox thing as it seemed to start months ago after I got Firefox but if it happens on IE as well I don't know. It obviously affects several of us so you must have been lucky, Cyberdude, if it's only just started happening to you.

Cyberdude
08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Tony, no it hasn't just started. It happens every so often. I spend about 15 minutes trying different things, then give up and wait until the next day. I'm not sure how to go about "clearing cookies". First of all, some of them I really don't want to clear because they are helpful. Second, these days they have cookies spread out all over the place. Trying to find all of them seems like a daunting task. I'm not too sure what you mean by "refreshing" the display ... you mean click the "Reload" button?? Worth a try. But I noted that when I can't input on one sheet, I can't input on any of them. The "Send a Private Message" area seems quite different than the typical forum thread sheets, but it closes down too.
These are just "for what it's worth" comments.