PDA

View Full Version : Better solution for stock charts

masfkb2424
04-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to create line charts in excel for visual analyses of stocks using date and price data, ie:

1/1/2013 78.63
1/2/2013 79.54

The problem is that the data I am graphing is daily data, and a single year's worth of data creates over 250 date and price data points. This makes it very frustrating to identify specific values and dates just from highlighting the cursor over the chart.

I need a solution that will allow me to quickly create graphs from excel data (programmatically would be ideal) that I can easily read and navigate, and ideally, annotate by adding markers or lines or by highlighting certain data points. Does anyone know of an excel add-in perhaps or other solution that has those capabilities? Something with the capabilities of google finance charts below to easily grab a data point and to look at shorter/longer time frames, along with the ability to add annotations would be perfect. Does anything like this exist as an integration into excel?

SamT
04-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Sounds like fun coding.

I am sure something like that is around, after all, google got the idea from somewhere, But I'm not familiar with anything.

I'm pretty simple minded, but I can imagine using a worksheet to display chart like line graphs. The lines would be pixilated, but...Either resize columns and rows, or Zoom.

Just about any capability you want could be provided. Lots of coding.

mdmackillop
04-06-2013, 08:13 AM
A quick google search turned up this http://stockcharts.com/. Maybe a good starting point for your own chart.