PDA

View Full Version : Character symbols for file types

Mark Mark
04-12-2013, 09:35 AM
I am trying to list file types in excel and next to the file name I would like to have an icon of the file type, but entered as a character. I have found a character for "windows" in wingdings (code 0xFF), but not for file types. Is anyone able to provide guidance on how I can get hold of characters that symbolise Excel, Word, pdf, etc. file types? I could use icons and include in the cells, but than can't search/ sort etc. - thank you

SamT
04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
google "fonts icons "file types" download"

here's one site that came up: http://www.iconarchive.com/tag/document

Mark Mark
04-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Many thanks for the site with Icons. Good selection. I now need to find a way to convert some of the icons into TT fonts so that I can insert them next to the file name in an adjacent cell and be able to sort, filter etc. under macro control by file type. Any pointers please. - thanks

sassora
04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Couldn't you have another column with a identification name of each document type so that filter and sorting can be on this instead. It sounds like an easier way to go.

Mark Mark
04-13-2013, 10:40 PM
I was hoping that Windows7 would have these fonts pre-defined, like the one for the windows character (font) in wingdings. It looks like that is not the case. So as you suggest going with a separate column with an identification looks like the way to go, so that's what I shall do. Many thanks for your help.

SamT
04-14-2013, 07:52 AM
I have used the Font Name to hold information. Windows allows you to use any font you want, and, if the font is not installed, it displays the default font of the application.

Set the Font name to MyExcel, MyWord, myPP, or whatever and test each Cells font for the name. It will not effect the font actually used, unless you do have a font with that name installed.

snb
04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
You can achieve the same result using application.getopenfilename.

Mark Mark
04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Font name looks like the way to go and it means that if I use the excel file and macro on a different PC, it will still work. I tried the application.getopenfilename, and that gave me the full path and filename so I can use that as well. So I think with the combination of both I can do what I was seeking to accomplish - Many thanks for your responses.