PDA

View Full Version : Consolidate Lists

john3j
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
I have about 25 excel files in a directory on the C drive with a path of C:\lists\. These are software lists that have been created for several machines across a network. I am trying to find a way to consolidate all of these in to one and just add an "Affected" column to list the machine names of those machines that have each software listed. So in column A I have a header "Software Title" and in column F I have a header "Software Version". I would have the same columns on the destination workbook, but adding colum I with a header of "Affected". I would be able to get the name of each computer from each individual excel file in the directory because the sheet name is the name of each computer. Can someone help me write some VBA to help me consolidate this data and make it readable? I would want to delete multiple software names if they match exactly and just have one line with the affected machines. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John

SamT
05-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Describe the List files better. Are they Excel workbooks? What are their names like. How many sheets in each Workbook? What are the sheet names like?

john3j
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
The list files are .xls (Microsoft Excel workbooks). Each list file has one sheet that is named after the machine the data was taken from. For example, if I had a list that was gathered from computer XXXX1234, then the name of the list file would be XXXX1234.xls and the name of the active sheet would be XXXX1234. Does this help?