PDA

View Full Version : Checkout system

anthony20069
05-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Hi guys,

I know this is not exactly a VBA query, but its along the lines.

Was wondering if anyone out there has/knows about a "checkout system" in excel that i could use?

Basiaclly, what i am looking for a a spreadsheet that will contain 100s of documents that people can "check out" - select a daye and time plus their name, this will then record when the file is not accessable. If anyone else tries to book the document, and its been booked/checked out, then an error would occur.

Any help on this would be great. Trying not to reinvent the wheel here if possible.

Cheers

SamT
05-13-2013, 03:52 PM
After 88 posts your language is still muddled worse than the Mighty Missisipi. I have no idea what you are talking about.

A Spreadsheet s a system used by accountants that consists of one or more books containing one or more sheets each. Occasionally it is used to describe MS Excel. Example: "Excel is a spreadsheet application."

Storing electronic documents, other than Worksheets, in a Workbook very quickly makes the workbook too cumbersome and it will crash. You cannot store hardcopy documents in an Excel workbook.

Electronic documents are never unavailable for viewing, although they can be locked for editing to prevent more than one person at a time from editing the same document. Or are you talking about hardcopy documents.

What exactly does "Check out" with quotes mean?

"Book" usually means to reserve or make an appointment. What do you mean?

What kind of Error do you want to occur? Window's BSOD or just crash Excel?

Teeroy
05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Based on your descriptions it sounds like you want a document management system (DMS) e.g. SharePoint (well, one of its functions). Using excel for this is like trying to install a screw with a hammer; it might look like it works for a little while but it will never be good or stable.

There are open source programs available for DMS but generally they are either server implementations like Opendocman or cloud based like LogicalDOC.