PDA

View Full Version : Solved: vlookup

maninjapan
05-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Hi, I am trying to use Vlookup to populate a column with data based on date and time, however the problem I have is they are 2 seperate columns, one with date, the second with time. I have used Vlookup with single columns without issue previously however this is my first attempt at a vlookup using 2 columns.....

I have tried making a 3rd helper column to combine the date and time but it doesnt seem to be recognizing the data to be looked up. Does anyone know of a thread that already covers this, or is able to explain what I am doing wrong? I have attached an example of the data I am trying to use.

There are 2 sheets of price data, 10 minute and 1 minute. I am trying to populate colum G of the 1 minute data (which has been rounded down to the closest 10 minute period) with the close of the 10 minute price for that time period.

Thanks in advance

SamT
05-21-2013, 09:04 AM
The Helper column Formulas should both be
=ROUND(B2+C2,3)
And get rid of the Rounding column.

If you format all the Date and Time columns to "Number" with 5 decimal places, you'll see what is happening.

maninjapan
05-21-2013, 10:04 AM
SamT, thanks for the reply. I see what you mean by formating the dates and times as numbers. I tried what you said though. I added that above formula in column A for both sheets, then added the following to column G on 1 minute Sheet, but not receiving any data. I dont suppose you are able to put up a working example?

=VLOOKUP(A2,'10 minute'!A:E,5)

Thanks

SamT
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
I am trying to populate colum G of the 1 minute data
Bad Dog! No biscuits for you.

First I had to sort the tables Ascending. I also got rid of the columns that I thought you didn't need. Then I Formatted the Columns To Date, Time, and Accounting, (To align the currency signs,) as I thought you might want.

The Final formulas were
Open Column: =VLOOKUP(B2,'1 minute'!B: D,2) Remove space between the colon and the D
Close Column: =VLOOKUP(B2,'1 minute'!B: D,3)
Note that if the 10 Minute sheet times start before the opening of business time, VLookUp returns "N/A" until the Market opens.

Right now the 10 Minute Sheet only works for a 1 Minute sheet with one date. You will need Helper columns to use the date and times, The helper columns are just the Sum of the Date and time columns.

maninjapan
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks for that effort sam, I didnt realize data needed to be Ascending.
The sheet seems to be backwards though. I needed the close of 10 minute data in the 1 minute sheet. example 9:00 - 9:09 showing the close from 9:00 of the 10 minute chart. However, I have been able to move your excel about a bit to get what I need. Thanks very much for the help!!!

SamT
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
I needed the close of 10 minute data in the 1 minute sheet. example 9:00 - 9:09 showing the close from 9:00 of the 10 minute chart.

Oops! I thought that was a typographical error.

I guess I don't get a biscuit now.